Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aolepilikia

Lurker
Mar 18, 2024
Big Island, Hawaii
Welcome from the Cradle of Texas.

"I enjoy cooking and am learning the basics of luthiery."

Are you interested in bowed instruments?
Im interested in everything musical instrument repair related, and there are some crossovers between what ive been working on (guitars) and bowed instruments. Mainly i've been working on what I have around the house and play. Figured Id torture my own instruments first before moving on to terrorizing other peoples. Would be fun to take a violin apart with my steamer, its just the getting together it back together part I struggle with

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Getting back into smoking pipes again after several years. Have quit smoking cigarettes and the booze so a nice pipe tobacco and a strong cup of coffee are my last vices left. Due to there being basically no pipe tobacco on the island Ive been mainly smoking cigars, luckily a friend has sent a small care package with some blends from my hometown pipe shop. Looking forward to getting to know everybody and learning more about the hobby. To start up again I just bought a little ropp that was on sale. I used to smoke a nice calabresi I enjoyed very much but I fear it was lost in the move. Other hobbies include general audio stuff, collecting records, playing guitar. I enjoy cooking and am learning the basics of luthiery. Main pain point is not being able to get tobacco shipped here anymore, ouch! Looking forward to meeting everyone, let me know what blends I should give a spin. Care package has a few lbs of various gl pease blends, Peterson and Mac baren. Can't wait!
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Im interested in everything musical instrument repair related, and there are some crossovers between what ive been working on (guitars) and bowed instruments. Mainly i've been working on what I have around the house and play. Figured Id torture my own instruments first before moving on to terrorizing other peoples. Would be fun to take a violin apart with my steamer, its just the getting together it back together part I struggle with
"…its just the getting together it back together part I struggle with"

There are only a couple of things to remember:
1) Use rabbit skin glue.
2) Keep the excess pieces down to a minimum of two or three.

Reactions: aolepilikia

aolepilikia

Lurker
Mar 18, 2024
Big Island, Hawaii
"…its just the getting together it back together part I struggle with"

There are only a couple of things to remember:
1) Use rabbit skin glue.
2) Keep the excess pieces down to a minimum of two or three.
I did buy a ladies waxing pot that I use for melting hide glue down, so rabbit skin glue isn't so far off lol. Id have to inquire about which hide the glue is made from I guess

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Welcome! Glad you got rid of those vices and picked up the virtues of pipes and coffee.

There’s a vinyl thread here if you want to check it out: Vinyl Set Up :: General Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/vinyl-set-up.100102/

Also there was a bunch of chatter about shipping tobacco to HI but I forgot where it ended. I think the conclusion was you could ship if it was for personal use. @PipeIT is out there and was doing a lot of research so hopefully he can chime in.

Hey, someone mentioned me! LOL I haven’t been around for several months, mouth been slightly irritated, haven’t smoked since January.

It’s not illegal to ship, as long as a business has the GE tax license and pays the fees, pretty much the same when you set up a local business. It just seems like businesses are still confused over this.

I’ve found vendors online that still ship out here…

aolepilikia

Lurker
Mar 18, 2024
Big Island, Hawaii
Hey, someone mentioned me! LOL I haven’t been around for several months, mouth been slightly irritated, haven’t smoked since January.

It’s not illegal to ship, as long as a business has the GE tax license and pays the fees, pretty much the same when you set up a local business. It just seems like businesses are still confused over this.

I’ve found vendors online that still ship out here…
ive found one, but variety is the spice of life. Could you pm me some names of companies who will ship out here? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No need for a PM; the info could be useful to other Islanders.

Or else, they’ll all get busted… LOL 😝

Just stick to all the big name vendors we talk about here on the forum, most ship, only a few don’t.

SPC doesn’t just to help out…