Smoking in Bedroom With Carpet? - Given an Ultimatum!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not sure if the bad air sponge would work - but worth a shot. Put one in the closet and one in the room.
Then get an exhaust fan and smoke next to it. Odds are, from my own experimenting with smoking indoors, your room and clothes will reek pretty badly unless you only smoke in there occasionally.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Like I said, "non smokers" will notice in a heartbeat.....
Agreed. I'm new to smoking, and I can still definitely tell when I've been at it. I only smoke outdoors, or in a smoking lounge - and I usually go through a whole cleaning cycle when I'm done. I enjoy the aroma and taste of pipe smoke while I'm smoking, but once the smoke gets stale, I really don't much care for it.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Sorry if this is repeat info - only read the 1st half of the comments....
I used to live in my parents's basement and smoke, before that an apartment in Ohio in which I smoked, and now my apartment in Chicago (much smaller than either of my past 2 living arrangements) where I still smoke. All have fabric couches, some or lots of carpeting, my bed, my clothes, my TV, computer, and books. SO - I have found little issue with smoke smell on my clothes. I don't know the science behind smell, but I'm fairly comfortable with the understanding that the thing that leaves the lingering scent is when smoke particles actually cling to fabric. If you leave your clothes lying around in heaps around your room, they may get lingering scent. However, if you keep them in your closet and dresser, they should be OK.
That being said though, smoke gets around, and smell gets around even more. Your parents may find that while you are smoking in your enclosed room - they can smell it elsewhere. This is like smelling cookies that are downstairs baking. Once the baking is done, the cookies will still smell good, but not the rest of the house. Just because they smell your smoke downstairs WHILE you smoke, the smoke particles aren't down there clinging to stuff, so it will go away once you're done. However, if you smoke often inside, your room will start to pick up a new aroma.
I always keep my window fan in and on exchange (1 side in, 1 side out). Often I open a second window as well....yes, in the cold of Chicago Winter! Fresh air is the best defense against lingering smoke smell. That being said, I'll more often than not get a candle burning while smoking (definitely if the second window is shut on days that are just TOO cold!), and if I notice it's getting bad, I'll run the lampe berger for a bit when I'm done.
All of this definitely helps, but if you smoke a lot, like I said earlier, the particles of the smoke cling to the fabric, so the only thing that will really get the lingering smell gone, is shampooing the carpet and cleaning the furniture! My parents's basement still smells like a smoke lounge because I haven't gone back and taken the time to do this. I have gone back and taken the time to smoke more! As far as this smell vs cigar or cig smell, however, I say you shouldn't worry to much about linger. I like pipe smoke - and so do you! So, when you come in your room and it smells of pipe smoke, Hooray! I have found (and it could be due to the windows, candles, etc) that pipe smoke, even when it lingers, doesn't rot and get that terrible moldy nasty smell you find in homes of old folks who smoke cigs. As for cigars, I like cigars too, and I will smoke them inside. Their scent almost always makes itself known for a day or two, but by day 3 or 4 has faded away behind the pipe smell.
Another note, even with a lot of pipe smoke clinging to your carpet and furniture, a burning candle or lampe berge (check the square footage of your room for how long you need to run it) does clean the AIR really well, and make the place smell great for a time. So if someone's visiting your room, give one a go. Once they're gone and the air recirculates, the smoke particles in the fabric will still be giving their scent off, but you can always cover them up again if you'd like. I normally just cover them with the aroma of a freshly lit pipe! :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke in my bedroom all the time and I have carpeting in it. I don't care what it smells like or what my cloths smell like. I spray Ozium quite a bit and that kills most of the smell. I have been using Ozium since the 70's and it can be bought at Walmart in the car department where they sell car fragrances. It is amazing stuff and I only use the original scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.