PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I usually open and go thru one tin at a time, but sometimes I find a blend that I'm not too keen on and jar it up for a time. I've been working to build a cellar, and over the past year it has grown to about 10 tins and 3 or 4 bulk blends in jars. Hence my dilemma: I'm trying to resist the tins and let them age, but I don't have the money to stash away 5 to 10 tins a month like some do. So should I open all my tins and store in Ball jars so I can go from blend to blend, or just continue in my current manner? Or open and jar a few while keeping others back? It seems like every time I get up to about 12 tins I end up opening one or two so I end up at the same number of unopened ones. I never knew trying to start a cellar could be so confounding!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I keep 5 pharmacy jars, and no open tins. I usually have unoponed tins of my favorite blends, especially those that are threatened to be extinct or are not easily found in my area. Among those 5 jars I always have an Artisan's Blend, and some sort of aromatic ... for those particular days when I feel the need of something sweet ..

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Well I may have a problem. I've never actually counted my mason jars, but I just did so. I have 54 mason jars with Different blends in them. I have a mix of about every category there is. Want to get some more ODF and I've never had a latakia flake/cake, so that will be soon. I probably average about 2 bowls a day as some days I don't smoke and some, like yesterday, I will smoke 5 bowls. I hardly ever smoke the same tobacco in a day. Seldom even smoke the same pipe. While I do smoke certain blends in certain pipes, I do not dedicate pipes to a particular blend.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have several open. Some are just one tin variety and then I have several large quantity jars of FVF/965/Butternut Burley/BEF. I did just open a tin of Old Dark Fired.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I normally keep burley blends in the workshop because the wife doesn't enjoy the room note. I have been working very hard lately to thin down everything I have opened and in jars(I know, poor me). My wife and I are getting ready for a big move and I don't want to have to lug around a bunch of glass jars. I prefer virginia blends so it was quite nice smoking the open stash down. Now I am left with a few blends that I can't enjoy all the time and temptation to crack open some new tins is getting really strong.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I had 20-25 jars I was smoking out of that all got down low enough that I decided to blend together into three major home-blend types, aromatic, english and virginia. Once they are gone, I think I am going to try to keep it down to a smaller number.

Status
Not open for further replies.