PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
I find smoking “dottle” to be quite enjoyable particularly when smoking a lighter tobacco like captain black ( royal blue) I find it holds a light well when using an easy pull and very little bite .
Any takers ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
If it's a good blend that doesnt ask me to fight it, I'll smoke it to the end. Flakes don't always turn out that way with the exception of Quiet Nights and a few others. Everybody knows flakes are more work. Nightcap and Margate are an example of a perfect to the end tobacco for me. Honestly, pretty much all the Pease, Esoterica, and Peterson/Dunhill stuff is like that permitting it's packed right.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on your definition of dottle! I like anotherbob's definition, with the note that some can scrape out dottle, dry it and smoke it another day. "Sherlock Holmes" did same according to his author.

Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
Ah yes tis true , very brand dependent also how many times you’ve loaded the bowl between cleans 2nd or third load and it will bite like a rabid dog A first load with a bowl that’s not hot I’ll smoke down to ash otherwise dump the last bit , Appreciate the advise and commentary, I’m always learning from these forums , And I have read of Sherlock dumping dottle on the mantelpiece for use later .He is ( in the stories) smoking a calabash which is a very cool and cool smoking pipe . I once had one long ago and unfortunately crushed it “sigh”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Some blends leave less dottle than others. I’ve never had captain black royal but I’ll take your word for it. I always think of dottle as the filter and I’d never smoke the filter of a cigarette (or the very end of a RYO) so I don’t smoke dottle. Some blends I smoke burn down to ash but not all the time.

Reactions: Donn Scott Shetler

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
I find smoking “dottle” to be quite enjoyable particularly when smoking a lighter tobacco like captain black ( royal blue) I find it holds a light well when using an easy pull and very little bite .
Any takers ?
I know Captain Black isn't considered a highbrow tobacco to most pipe snobs, but it's (the Royal) my go to most of the time.

Do you dry it or age it? I've never had any luck smoking it down into the dottle, as it's too wet to burn, regardless of how slow I smoke or how light I puff, and I've been smoking it for decades at this point, off and on. It's one of the few aromatics that actually tastes the way it smells.

Reactions: Donn Scott Shetler
Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
I know Captain Black isn't considered a highbrow tobacco to most pipe snobs, but it's (the Royal) my go to most of the time.

Do you dry it or age it? I've never had any luck smoking it down into the dottle, as it's too wet to burn, regardless of how slow I smoke or how light I puff, and I've been smoking it for decades at this point, off and on. It's one of the few aromatics that actually tastes the way it smells.
I do have some cellared and let it dry a bit . I smoke some Ashton brands also but for the price and availability the black & blue is my go to.But your right to smoke it down to the ash it needs a bit of drying and it has to be a good clean cool pipe . I’ve read some other thumbs up here from other veteran smokers.

Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
The cost of tobacco in Oz is exhorbitant
Sydney is in a zone where high humidity often prevent tobacco drying from sufficiently unless given adequate forethought - not something I’m good at

Using meer chips or Nording Keystones at the bottom of the chamber means there are very few bowls that don’t smoke down to ash these days
I’m going to look into the meer chips and keystones at the bottom of the bowl that is new to me thanks for the education

Reactions: OzPiper

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Keystone are very cheap, if you buy a bulk pack

Both Keystones and meer chips are reusable up to 4-6 bowls and are a real cost saving for me as I don’t have dottle to waste, most bowls.
That sounds so sad to me, my friend. I hate that for you guys in countries that are extreme towards tobacco. I live in the US and in a good state, where as Canada seems to want to go more and more towards dumbass regulations, we are safe for the most part.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That sounds so sad to me, my friend. I hate that for you guys in countries that are extreme towards tobacco. I live in the US and in a good state, where as Canada seems to want to go more and more towards dumbass regulations, we are safe for the most part.
Enjoy while it is still so
And may it remain so forever
But you can never count on dumbass legislators to do the right thing