PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I'm from 734 feet above sea level (Chicago) and am currently on vacation at 5,761 (Glenwood Springs, CO). I packed a couple of my favorite coins and and some perfectly cleaned pipes in my SCooSA along with a novel to read during my smokes.

I've only gotten a coupla bowls in, but both have been hot and harsh compared to what I'm used to. Is it the thin, dry air? Does the tobacco burn differently up here or am I unintentionally freight training cos my red blood cell count is low?

Anyone have similar experiences or advice?

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
In Sydney I was between 1-4m (3'-12') above sea level for most of my smoking; in São Paulo I'm at around 770m (2,500'). Relative humidity in Sydney is typically 60% and a bit higher at 78% in Sampa (actually I was surprised when I looked this up because it usually feels a lot less humid here then it did in Sydney).

It took me a while to adjust especially when lunting; at first pipes were getting too hot and the smoking was consequentially unpleasant but I think I've got it dialled in now.

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Yeah, I think altitude can affect many things. I've been to grocery stores in high altitude mountain towns where all the bags of produce were puffed up. I had to laugh at that. In fact, I think that some baking recipes need to be adjusted for higher altitudes. I can recall seeing high altitude instructions on cake mix boxes.

Some airplanes can't fly in and out of certain locations because of the effect that altitude has on the engines. It results in a loss of climbing ability. It is possible then that a plane won't be able to climb out of a valley.

I think that cars with carburetors also need an adjustment when moving to a higher altitude. But then again I recall having to constantly mess with my carbs even at sea level.

I have also noticed that nicotine seemed to hit me much harder when I was at a high altitude. So have fun with that.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
There's lower oxygen content the higher the altitude. Stands to reason it would affect the way the tobacco burns. Probably having to draw harder which gets things hot.
Not sure what you mean by oxygen content Mark, but the percent of oxygen remains about 21% regardless of altitude. The problem lies in the air pressure. There is less of every gas at a given volume at higher altitudes, which I guess is why people typically describe the air as "thinner". Don't mean to be nitpicky, but I think a common misperception is that there is less oxygen as a percentage at higher altitudes. Bottom line is that living at 5200 feet I've never known if it's easier to smoke a pipe at sea level or if the nic hit is harder. I don't have anything to compare it to.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not sure what you mean by oxygen content Mark, but the percent of oxygen remains about 21% regardless of altitude. The problem lies in the air pressure. There is less of every gas at a given volume at higher altitudes, which I guess is why people typically describe the air as "thinner". Don't mean to be nitpicky, but I think a common misperception is that there is less oxygen as a percentage at higher altitudes. Bottom line is that living at 5200 feet I've never known if it's easier to smoke a pipe at sea level or if the nic hit is harder. I don't have anything to compare it to.

I stand corrected. The air pressure decreases so the air is "thinner". While the % of oxygen remains the same, the amount of oxygen is less as it is a percentage of a smaller amount of air. In other words, 21% of 10. Is less than 21% of 15. So it seemed logical one would need to puff harder to get the same volume of smoke at a lower altitude. That's just my hypothesis, not scientific fact.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard that cooking and baking at altitude has to be re-learned. Even the boiling point of water changes. So it makes sense that pipe smoking would require a learning curve. I think I'm at a few hundred feet, but the humidity is fairly high, so I can leave a drying bowl of tobacco out for a week, and it's still fine.

Reactions: BROBS

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Humidity is another challenge sometimes here in Denver. Usually by late afternoon in the summer the humidity is in the low teens or single digits. It makes it easy to dry out those Gawith flakes, but it quickly gets too dry and stuff can taste like crap. Five to ten minutes on a paper plate and you're ready to go. Too often I've forgotten I've put out tobacco to dry and found it super crispy. Back into the jar it goes and I pick out something else to smoke.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
It takes longer to cook at high altitude. Leadville Colorado is over 10,000 feet. For some stuff you need a pressure cooker. The water boils off at about 180 degrees as opposed to 212 Which is not hot enough to cook beans.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The directions for how many minutes for a particular pasta has to be corrected at altitude then. Once you get a rule of thumb, it probably isn't difficult.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I noticed that tobacco dries out faster than at lower altitudes and I have to slow things down but it is worth it. I don't struggle to breathe in the 90% humidity of the low lands and my towels don’t mold as soon as they are washed ??.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'm at 9000 feet up in Colorado. I notice no real difference in taste/flavor when smoking here or when I visit back home in Western NY. I smoke super-slow though. The only real diff is dry time for tobacco. Smoking tobacco wet or dry will change it's flavors...along with your cadence.

Cooking and baking isn't really a problem, either. Most recipes for baking you just add a bit more flour (or grain) so they don't go flat or mushy. Boiling foods is no problem either and I don't ever cook beans that way, I bake them. Rice I cook a lot, takes 45 minutes. Pasta is done when I sample it. I only use a timer when canning my foods in my pressure cooker.,,which has to have the psi adjusted to this height.

Gas engines can have some problems and many appliances need to have different pilot jets installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and mso489

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Not that I'm aware of. I run 95 octane in everything. Most vehicles are fuel injected now so altitude doesn't effect that. My generator is fuel injected as well, makes it nice not to have to re-jet it.

People say you get drunk easier here. I rarely get "drunk" so I wouldn't know. Two beers or two Bloody Marys, I'm buzzed and happy. No more.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
I’ve noticed this a lot going up into the mountains, somewhere between 2500’ -5000’, and then again between 7000’, I have to pack a lot looser and smoke slower. But you can get the hang of it

Reactions: BROBS