PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish
Picked this up the other day after reading reviews of this "economy" tobacco. I was happy to learn it was a Lane product and the price was right. (15.99 on line/24.99 locally at CoJ's. Gotta love NY!)
Very very mild smoking. Vanilla and nutty flavors/smells from the pouch, from the pipe and on the tongue. I like it very much. By the way, when did "mild" become a dirty word? I'm no expert but do all tobaccos have to punch you in the face with flavor?? Anyway, cool to smoke, no bite. Moist, so jar storage dried things up a bit and it stayed lit well.
I also mixed this with equal parts Half&Half to up the vitamin N and change the profile a bit. Awesome smoke! I've spent 3 days with it! Room note on this is still nice, as folks in the smoke shack at work commented that it smelled real good. I've jarred some of this for the future as well. I am I correct in thinking that this blend mixed in equal parts is essentially 25% virginia, 25% burley and 50% cavendish seeing as the H&H is 50/50 V and B?

ruffinogold

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
I think SP black cavendish is a fine smoke . Any Black cavendish smoker would enjoy it cause it cant bite , smokes cool , burns well , tastes fine and the room note is nice .It's the best of their line imo

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
Mild is not a dirty word....some tobacco's are too mild and you end up trying to smoke them faster to get more flavor and they get hot and bitey. That is the problem with mild.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The "M word" is soooo dirty, just wait until a Mod finds out you used it :rofl:

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I bought a bag of this stuff once.. I had to let it dry for about 7h before I tried to smoke it. It wasn't flavored well, and I was trying to find a flavor and ended up with awful bite. It was a goopy mess in the bag, goopy mess in my pipe. Wouldn't stay lit in the pipe. I gave it away to my neighbour (who I found out last night smokes a pipe too!) he ended up throwing it in the compost as he didn't like it either and he's been smoking pipe 15yr. He said "I've been smoking pipe 15yr and that tops up as the worst on my list." I just laughed and we enjoyed a pipe together. He's never heard of noggins, or smokingpipes so they both have a new customer now lol. He tried MacBaren Royal last night with me and loved it. I gave him some plumcake to try out as he's never heard of it. He's a drugstore blend smoker and I think we broke his tobacco 'cherry' lol. Anyway didn't mean to highjack the thread, everyone's tastes vary on tobacco, I personally didn't like this cav.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I tried this years ago and I'm not a fan. There's a difference between "mild" and "dull". I remember a lot of low grade burley; no bite, sure, but no tobacco flavor either.
But I'm glad you like it, Wildcat.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I also think the Smoker's Pride BC is a decent smoke, much better than the Wallgreen's Blender's Choice. I personally think mild is great. Lane's BCA is my all day smoke. I think the looking down on mild came with the advent of folks who enjoy their pipe 1 or 2 times a day or maybe a couple times a week. If that was what I did I would want a much stronger and complex smoke. I enjoy my pipe all day and mild is the ticket for me.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Oh, I don't know about that, I smoke quite a bit and I like a tobacco that slaps me around a little bit. I might smoke as many as 20 bowls, or as few as a half dozen, but I like all of them to be something that has something going on besides smoke and room note.
You make a good point Mike. I guess I was thinking from the point that all the old school pipe smokers I grew up around defined mild as being smooth flavor not harsh or heavy and no bite. It seems now that mild is defined as dull. For me too there has to be flavor in the blend not just smoke and room note :puffy:

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I like the Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish too. Picked up the small 1.5 oz package a few weeks ago at the local B&M. It is 'extra' moist so it took awhile to dry out some. I used it in my MOB (my own blend) blendins. Worked out nice. I'll probably buy it again once I run out of what I have blended.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Many years ago I used to buy Black & Gold from the drug store. I think it was put out under the brand of Blenders Gold. It was a decent OTC. Haven't seen it for several years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.