PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I stopped at my local smokerfriendly chain shop to see if they had Carter Hall in a pouch. They didn't have it in pouch or can, but they did have one lonely pouch of Prince Albert, so I bought that, and a package of standard (rather than tapered) B.J. Long pipe cleaners. Then I glanced over on the top of a glass counter containing vape gear, and was surprised to see two or three racks of briar pipes. This is the first time I have seen anything but very poorly made corn cob pipes, probably Chinese. These were not good pipes, probably from Eastern Europe or Asia, some smooth, others carved in a very basic way, with inexpensive almost matte finish stems. But they were clearly and only tobacco pipes, and a first in the years I've stepped in this shop for pouch tobacco. Having been a retailer in previous life -- or at least having a strong interest in the whole retailing and marketing process -- I can only interpret this sighting as a reflection of the fact that the chain has finally awakened to the renewed interest in tobacco pipes among its customers. The fact that the pipes were placed on top of the glass case with the vape gear suggests that they may associate them with a younger demographic, since they weren't over in or near the array of pipe tobaccos. This could be a flash in the pan or a big deal, depending on how the briar pipes sell and how much more the chain hears from its customers, but I think this could be a beginning. Next they could carry some standard tinned tobacco and a wider array of tubs. I see this as a glimmer of a wider interest and acceptance, or at least I am alerted and will keep watching and report back. The pipes were priced at $32 and change. (I say they are briar pipes, but they may be some other wood, but they are briar in appearance. They carry no stamps.)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My local tobacco store has started getting in some briar pipes and have increased their styles of MM cobs. Their even selling some bulk Lane blends. What I did was have a conversation with them about tin blends and pipes like Savinelli, Peterson etc. They said they wanted to increase their pipe & tobacco inventory and would consider my recommendations. They said that a lot of people who are trying to quit cigarettes are coming in asking about pipes & tobacco. I think they've finally saw the light. Who knows, in 6 months I may not have to order online.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ray, very interesting! Other Forums members, even those who never stop at a chain smoke shop, if it is convenient, stop at your local chain shop and give us a report. I'm dreaming of a ground swell, although I think it will be well into the summer before we can see a real marketing push. Thanks for the update from your area, ray. I sense a trend.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
New store in Fairmont, Minnesota. It's a head shop trying to be something more than a head shop. It opened last week and does carry some pipe tobacco supplies. Had some of the really small MM cobs and the larger Fujima cobs plus a display case of Chinese "briar" pipes even a few churchwardens. Most of the pipe tobacco is the roll your own versions but owner did say she was going to carry some PA, CH and other pipe tobaccos. Picked up some pipe cleaners and one of the "nicer" Fujima cobs. Not the pipe shop of my dreams but much better than I had hoped for out here on the prairie. Made a little pipe mud to fortify the bottom of the Fujima cob and it smokes Anniversary Kake nicely. I will pop in a couple of times a month and hope the shop grows its pipe tobacco selection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, glimmerings of tobacco pipe culture in Fairmont, Minnesota. That's truly hopeful. Anyone else seeing promising additions to the inventory at their local cigarette and/or head shop emporiums?

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Our local Smoker Friendly shops are owned by the Klafters/Cigar Express folks and are sometimes, depending on the unit manager, decent mid-range pipe shops. I think there are about 14 or so shops in this chain and along with a decent cigar offering at all of them, three at least have a good selection of GLP, Dunhill,CAO, Drew Estate, SG, and C&D blends to go with a full selection of codgers- canisters and pouches. Besides some over priced basket pipes they also carry their private line of Savinelli pipes, reasonably priced.
I do not use the term "tobacconist" for shops such as these (not that many real tobacconists exist now), but consider them retailers of some value. Better than nothing. I have bought more than a few pipes, not including corncobs, from these SFs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
aristokles, that's really encouraging. It's a balancing act. I'd hate for the chain shops to put our local independent, or for that matter our local Tinder Box, out of business, but since many drugstores have given up tobacco products, and since this is the Smoker Friendly and similar chains main business, it seems that they ought to offer (and be able to do a good business with) pipes and pipe tobaccos. I think it could come around to that. It seems like a pretty natural fit. I'm hoping instead of shouldering over our local independent, it could serve as a springboard to get more customers to him, once people develop a curiosity about pipes and tobacco and want a more authoritative source of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.