PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Hey all, interested in any thoughts concerning the Smoker’s Pride tobaccos. I’ve tried the Black Cavendish which is rather nice. I ordered the Rum Cured. Waiting to try it. Hope it’s nice. Any others that are worth trying? Thoughts on the Rum cured?

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The one's that aren't aromatic are RYO cigarettes. By calling it pipe tobacco they avoid restrictions on cigarettes. You could smoke it in a pipe but it smokes like crap in a pipe and taste like a cigarette. And this applies to almost all in that form of packing such as; American Club, Bacco, Gambler, and so on.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
The one's that aren't aromatic are RYO cigarettes. By calling it pipe tobacco they avoid restrictions on cigarettes. You could smoke it in a pipe but it smokes like crap in a pipe and taste like a cigarette. And this applies to almost all in that form of packing such as; American Club, Bacco, Gambler, and so on.
All the ones that I’ve come across up here appear to be aromatics. Good to know about the rest being ryo as opposed to pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Coreios

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
If you like a run of the mill "Vanilla" pipe tobacco - their Vanilla fits the bill ..and actually ages kinda nicely.. I am also a fan of the black cavendish ...the stuff isn't going to win awards, but I have had good experiences with those two; when it gets miserable hot/humid in the summer I smoke this type of stuff.

Reactions: Lumbridge

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Hey all, interested in any thoughts concerning the Smoker’s Pride tobaccos. I’ve tried the Black Cavendish which is rather nice. I ordered the Rum Cured. Waiting to try it. Hope it’s nice. Any others that are worth trying? Thoughts on the Rum cured?
Use the search bar above as well ... there are a couple of threads already about this brand. One or two of them are claimed to be the same as the manufacturers (Lane's) bulk blends but at a cheaper price. YMMV

Reactions: Bassman65

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Use the search bar above as well ... there are a couple of threads already about this brand. One or two of them are claimed to be the same as the manufacturers (Lane's) bulk blends but at a cheaper price. YMMV
Thanks. I did read them. That’s what got me to pull the trigger on the Black Cavendish first. I was confused by some of the RYO cigarette comments vs. the pipe tobacco comments though around some of the other varieties. Wanted to know if it was a more alcoholic rum flavour or a more Life Savers Buttered Rum. Pulled the trigger anyway, so I’ll have to try it myself. 😊 Was just skittish due to the size of the bag, so trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a big fan of the Smoker's Pride blends as basic aromatics. I've talked so much about how I like them on this forum that I probably sound like a shill. I've smoked a lot of the Rum Cured and Black Cavendish, but also the Whiskey, Vanilla Cav and Cherry Cav. The only one I haven't tried yet is the Natural/Classic Blend.

Rum Cured is pretty good. It's just rough cut burley with a tasty butter rum topping. Packs well, lights easily, needs few relights, and tastes/smells good. Decently dry out of the bag, you won't need to dry it and you get a lot of smoke for your money. Burns just a little bit on the warm side, but doesn't bite me.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
The ones that are geared towards RYO (Rich Taste and Mellow Taste) are discontinued, AFAIK. The others are definitely pipe tobaccos, and not just RYO labeled as "pipe" tobacco.
Thanks for the info. Just got a good 6+ jars filled 😊. For just over $50, looking forward to it. Usually that gets you 50g up here.

Reactions: romaso

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Its my understanding, and I may be wrong but, the other brands are cigarrette tobaccos packaged as pipe tobacco while Smoker's Pride is actually pipe tobacco from Lane in bulk form. The cherry cavendish is not bad and doesn't taste like cigarrette tobacco. I've never tried any other brands which I deem RYO. I haven't bought the cherry again once I found Lane 1-Q which I prefer as an aromatic. Around my way, the vape/head shops double the prices eliminating any cost saving advantage so I order online from SP.com.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I like the Smoker’s Pride line as budget aromatics. I've tried them all and they are all quite decent. My personal favorites are the Cherry Cav and the Whisky. In fact the Cherry is my benchmark Cherry pipe tobacco. There's a couple blends I may like a bit more, but the quality to value ratio can't be beat for the SP Cherry. Good flavour, no bite, burns great and fairly dry and a fantastic value.

I have probably 6 or 7 of their 12oz bags in my cellar queued up as my basic all day aromatics.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

I keep at least ten 12 ounce bags of Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish in my stash at any given time. When it goes on sale I stock up at a dollar an ounce.

What I love the most about it is the cherry cotton candy at the county fair candy taste, and my clients and assistants love the smell.

The price Lane pays for Virginia or burley tobacco is just over two dollars a pound.

For the candy sweet aromatics they have to use flavorings, which might cost more than the leaf.

Pipe smokers are fortunate to be able to smoke really top notch, good pipe tobacco they can buy at the local smoke shop.

All the flavors of Smoker’s Pride taste good to me.

Try some and pick your favorite.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I've only tried the Cherry Cavendish, and I love it. It's the best Cherry aromatic I've tried so far. The flavor doesn't fade at all. I have several bags in my cellar. I'd be open to trying some of the other flavors as well. I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I picked up a small pouch of cherry Cavendish for $1 on a whim. It's now my go to cherry blend on the rare occasion I get the itch.

I've read good things about the rum cured. Based in my experience with the cherry blend, I will probably pick up a bag eventually.