PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Good to hear. If never tried bag tobaccos because I thought the cheap bulk price would reflect a poor quality of leaf. It sounds like I am wrong.
Not Always.
I bought another brand and paid 6 bucks for 8 ounces.
I had to apologize to my new gifted pipe after smoking it.
It kind of works blending in with my good vanilla cavendish but i wont cry when its gone.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have always been curious about the Classic blend - Smoker's Pride Vanilla and Black cavendish are very good, in my opinion. I have thought about adding a bag of the Rum blend to an order in the future, too.

My local B&M doesn't carry this stuff, but the closest cigarette shop (with nice walk-in humidor) does - unfortunately, it is priced at about twice what you can get it for online. I support local businesses often, but SP is strictly something I get online.

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
I have always been curious about the Classic blend - Smoker's Pride Vanilla and Black cavendish are very good, in my opinion. I have thought about adding a bag of the Rum blend to an order in the future, too.

My local B&M doesn't carry this stuff, but the closest cigarette shop (with nice walk-in humidor) does - unfortunately, it is priced at about twice what you can get it for online. I support local businesses often, but SP is strictly something I get online.
Where do you get it online?
The place i have used just about doubles the price once they add in two different tax's and shipping.
Preparing a stock up order which includes trying new blends.
Thanks

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Smokingpipes had it for under 20 bucks a bag the last time I checked - P&C always has it for really cheap, too ...word has it they can be a bit slow on shipping, tho. My local place marks the bags up to 37 bucks (lol) ...any online option is cheaper than that, even if I pay full shipping.

Reactions: kurtbob and Cap

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I’ve had this before and it’s pretty good. I also used to smoke Admiral’s Choice in the big bag for years.

As the OP pointed out, men back in the day smoked these blends for a lifetime and enjoyed them, and probably never gave it a second thought. They wanted to smoke a pipe, and this kind of tobacco is what the drug store carried - end of story.

Same with Miller, Bud, and Coors (et al) beer - arid that was good enough for a working man.

Now these things are scoffed at in many circles. That’s sad to me.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I like their black cavendish (though it's a little wet) and their rum and whiskey flavored burley. Didn't care for the cherry cavendish (thought it was bland) or the vanilla cavendish (that one's a straight up tongue burner). In general, I think the Smoker's Pride product beat the pants off of most of the Super Value stuff (except the SV English is pretty good).
I'll be looking to try this one next time I put in an order. Looks like it's the same as the "Natural Blend", just a different name?

Reactions: Cap and Briar Lee

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The Virginia/Burley is RYO.
The SP Rich Taste and Mellow Taste (now discontinued, unfortunately) are shag cut, RYO type tobaccos, but those types of tobacco still smoke well in a pipe. I hydrate them a little and pack them tight. Plain, but a good (and easy) smoke. It's a good "garage time" smoke for me in a Missouri Pride - about as simple as it gets right there.

My supply of Rich Taste has run out, though, so I recently ordered half a pound of Daughters & Ryan Three Sails to try.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The SP Rich Taste and Mellow Taste (now discontinued, unfortunately) are shag cut, RYO type tobaccos, but those types of tobacco still smoke well in a pipe. I hydrate them a little and pack them tight. Plain, but a good (and easy) smoke. It's a good "garage time" smoke for me in a Missouri Pride - about as simple as it gets right there.

My supply of Rich Taste has run out, though, so I recently ordered half a pound of Daughters & Ryan Three Sails to try.
I could see that. If you like it rock on.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
In anticipation of the price increase that never came I bought a lot of tobacco, and one of the 12 ounce packages was Smoker’s Pride Classic Blend. If bought as part of a special it’s a dollar and ounce.

This stuff smells wonderful, to open the package. It’s a simple burley blend with a fruity top note that reminds me most of Carter Hall.

View attachment 120589View attachment 120590

Men used to smoke blends like this every day for a lifetime and be happy with them.

There’s a good dose of nicotine, there’s no bite or burn to it, it’s good pipe tobacco that tastes like ripened, well aged, burley tobacco.

Worth having around, for times when you just want a good smoke.
Which other tobacco would you compare the nicotine level with?
Thanks for your feedback on this tobacco as I was considering ordering some. :)

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Which other tobacco would you compare the nicotine level with?
Thanks for your feedback on this tobacco as I was considering ordering some. :)
I think if Carter Hall had a little more Vitamin N it would grow up to be SP Classic Blend.:)

All the Smoker’s Pride blends are premium pipe tobacco value blends today, if they weren’t always.

The ones that are labeled cavendish are candy sweet, and all are rough cut with propylene glycol obvious. You could smoke them RYO but they aren’t in the cheap RYO displays, rather with pipe tobaccos, which they are intended to be.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I think if Carter Hall had a little more Vitamin N it would grow up to be SP Classic Blend.:)

All the Smoker’s Pride blends are premium pipe tobacco value blends today, if they weren’t always.

The ones that are labeled cavendish are candy sweet, and all are rough cut with propylene glycol obvious. You could smoke them RYO but they aren’t in the cheap RYO displays, rather with pipe tobaccos, which they are intended to be.
Thank you for your reply, mate.