PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My two assistants simply love the aroma of this sweet, cherry candy flavored cavendish. I love the flavor, mildness, the way it burns long, cool, and stays lit. This is made by Lane, and tastes very near like TK-6, Captain Black Cherry, and Cult Blood Red Moon. My assistants can’t detect any difference in aroma, and the only reason I might is likely knowing the cost difference. The Cult Blood Red Moon is blacker, and stickier, but the TK-6 and CB Cherry looks nearly the same except the value brand actually seems to have more differentEADFF79B-756A-4C81-A1FE-62F3DF71F465.jpeg kinds of tobaccos, including quite a few crumbles of golden Virginias, and more crimps of dark black fire cured leaf.

The taste is wonderful, delicious tobacco with lots of sweet cherry candy flavorings. It produces a white ash, and billows of sweet cherry scented smoke.

This is marked cavendish, so maybe half the weight is water, alcohol, and sweeteners. No matter, because it’s a bite free, delicious, sweet blend you can smoke all day and night, and it won’t bite.

You can put this in tobacco jars, or leather pouches and nobody will know you’re a cheapskate and pay just about a dollar an ounce for this.

This is what value priced blends should be.

D52C75AC-47F0-496E-898D-935D2C04FCE1.jpeg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Cheap blends definitely have their place.

I’d compare it to a domestic light beer vs. a craft brew, or an aged bourbon, scotch, or an old bottle of dry red wine. When I’m paddling my canoe down the river in the 90+ degree July heat, a Miller Lite hits the spot perfectly.

My cheap blend of choice is Carter Hall, and there are many other good ones as well of course.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Cheap blends definitely have their place.

I’d compare it to a domestic light beer vs. a craft brew, or an aged bourbon, scotch, or an old bottle of dry red wine. When I’m paddling my canoe down the river in the 90+ degree July heat, a Miller Lite hits the spot perfectly.

My cheap blend of choice is Carter Hall, and there are many other good ones as well of course.
Ever notice there are no value brands of Latakia or Perique rich English or Virginia blends?.:)

I sit with my assistants (in days gone by they preferred the title legal secretaries) and dictate to them as they type.

In 1983 legal secretaries took shorthand.

Ten years later they typed from dictation from little cassette tapes.

The damned almost paperless fling system along with emails and Covid 19 restrictions has found me sitting in a suit and tie dictating over the shoulder of a highly skilled, perfectly dressed, competent lady that can still type, compose, and process words like a machine gun, if you could still hear the keys strike.

The boss ought not fill his gorgeous Lee star grade pipes from a plastic Smoker’s Pride bag, you know? .:)

Both my assistants are cigarette smokers. I’d require them to smoke, but they were hired already addicted.

I smoke the value brands from bags beneath my desk, or on my back deck at home.

Honestly, the biggest differences between Cult Blood Red Moon and Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish is the snazzy little metal can instead of the big plastic bag, and the extra grain alcohol Lane adulterates the cheap stuff with serves to help keep it lit.:)

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Interesting, in a sense not intended--or maybe it was. My grandfather and uncle were lawyers, the former a rather sober DA whose house was bombed, and the latter a flashy car lover with successive wives, and both smoked pipes. I "inherited" my grandfather's pipes and my uncle's small cigar humidor. The pipes were all drugstore brands, with the exception of a Lee 4-star Oom-Paul. The humidor had nothing in it except Phillies Perfectos. I don't know...it just seems that they could have had better tobacco weed.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I found super value chocolate (made by Sutliff) to be superior to the chocolate cavendish/aromatics marketed under Sutliff’s name. However, with the amount I smoke, I’m not going to quibble over spending an extra 5c-$1 per bowl if it yields a more satisfying experience. Definitely check out the grand croupier line up when they are in stock - boneyard and double down especially. Sort of like a C&D scraps jar that is more than the sum of its parts.

Also if you want seriously good tobacco, at prices cheaper than smokers pride, D&R has your name written all over it. More expensive per Oz., but it is sold in a very low case so the water weight is negligible

Reactions: minerLuke

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I mix the Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish and Vanilla Cavendish 50/50 then put them in Mason Jars for a few months to meld. I have a few years worth of cellaring tobacco, well maybe about 9 to 10 years of storing blends. Most of my stash is otc and bulk Lane and Sutliff stuff, some C&D ,mainly Pegasus. Now this Smoker's Pride tobacco is what White Owl and Swisher Sweets is to cigars. It's cheap but it satisfies, to be honest, it smells really good too while burning in the pipe. I smoke this mixture in my Savinelli's with a 6mm charcoal filter, pretty relaxing. I like it, if I got stranded on an island and this was all I had to smoke, I'd be OK.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Ever notice there are no value brands of Latakia or Perique rich English or Virginia blends?.:)
Super Value English Mixture by Sutliff/Dream Castle has both perique and latakia, $5 a pouch. Quite an anomaly and a decent smoke, though I like Best of the Rest English more.

Classic Blend is my favorite by Smoker's Pride. I find these tobaccos aren't goopy like other value brands. I have noticed they burn more quickly than tinned blends, and I pack them a little tighter than usual to slow and keep them from getting too hot. Good smokes for walks, yard work, etc.

Reactions: minerLuke

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I really like the Smoker's Pride Whisky and Classic blends. Very tasty, good burn, and fairly clean and you can't complain about the price. I'll have to add a bag of their cherry Cavendish to try out. The idea of mixing it with the Vanilla is a good one I will have to try.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I just got a bag of this and I have to say I agree 100% with this review. Outstanding basic cherry blend for all day, any day. By coincidence I have tin of Cult BRM open as well and smoking the two together, I got to say the smokers pride cherry is pretty close to BRM at a fraction of the price. The BRM is definitely stickier and the tin note of cherry is way stronger, but taste is still pretty close. The SP cherry taste may be slightly less than BRM but it's not off by much.

This Smokers Pride Cherry is an excellent cherry blend, one of my favorites, and an outstanding value for your money. Actually, all their flavors are pretty darn good, I especially like the Rum and Whisky.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I really like the Smoker's Pride Whisky and Classic blends. Very tasty, good burn, and fairly clean and you can't complain about the price. I'll have to add a bag of their cherry Cavendish to try out. The idea of mixing it with the Vanilla is a good one I will have to try.
The Rum Cured is good too. Nice toasty burley with butter rum flavor, not goopy, lights and burns well. One of the few sweet aromatics I smoke regularly.