PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

southpipe

Lurker
Jun 8, 2015
New Zealand
Hey all. Down here at the "bottom" of the world (New Zealand), is the smoke going down instead of up?? (kidding!)
....what I really wanted to say, at the risk of sounding too much of a novice or stating the obvious, is that I've just realised how important the VISUAL aspect of this pastime is (for me pipe smoking is a pastime, collecting is the hobby).
Having enjoyed a bowl of Erinmore Mixture in a Dunhill Root Briar last night IN PITCH DARK (long story), it struck me that there was something missing from the experience....the gorgeous ribbons of silky smoke gently wafting around the briar, rising as it spreads out overhead. While not exactly an epiphany it was certainly an acute realisation that there are a great many aspects to pipe smoking for the novice to discover. Sip on....;-)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome to the forum! Watch out for the Hobbits down there, they like to pilfer pipe tobacco! If you like to see whisps of smoke, try this technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

southpipe

Lurker
Jun 8, 2015
New Zealand
Awesome, thanks C.E.

Yes, the Longbottom Leaf is very sought after here!.....growing my own "Shirey" plants too as near impossible to get any decent tins here ;-(

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome, and very impressive! Growing your own is some serious dedication!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad you're "here" and I just looked up to see if I could grow it in N. CA. I live in an agricultural area but haven't seen any tobacco plants at all. I thought maybe you were too far South to have a warm enough climate, but I guess not!

southpipe

Lurker
Jun 8, 2015
New Zealand
We have a varied climate here, I'm at 44degrees south which is on a par with the south of France, Portugal (or Nova Scotia!) in the north.
We did have a thriving tobacco industry here back in the day.....NZ has always had to be fairly self-sufficient due to our geographical isolation....
This article from 1961 states our 1960 Burley crop weighed in at 7,075,000lbs from 3500acres.
npn4_19610304_019-600x389.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.