PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
As a new smoker and a fireman (railroad) part time, I was smoking and noticed the color of my smoke to have a bluish tint. When firing the steam engine I work on, this is a perfect burn for that engine. I was wondering the same with pipe smoking. Or does smoke color even matter? Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
White smoke means a new pope is chosen. Black means no pope yet or you left the roast in the oven a wee bit too long.

Seriously though I love steam engines. Essex has one here in CT. That old timey sound of steam power. And the calliope. I love that.

I've only ever had white smoke. I don't think the air fuel mixture would apply for pipes in terms of burn quality. It's a smouldering fire so incomplete combustion as I would surmise from being a firefighter. Like a meat smoker produces. Smoke is flavor. If you have perfect combustion you get no smoke and that's not good for meat or tobacco smoking.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
White smoke means a new pope is chosen. Black means no pope yet or you left the roast in the oven a wee bit too long.

Seriously though I love steam engines. Essex has one here in CT. That old timey sound of steam power. And the calliope. I love that.

I've only ever had white smoke. I don't think the air fuel mixture would apply for pipes in terms of burn quality. It's a smouldering fire so incomplete combustion as I would surmise from being a firefighter. Like a meat smoker produces. Smoke is flavor. If you have perfect combustion you get no smoke and that's not good for meat or tobacco smoking.
Yeah, I had an aro today and it was white smoke—granted it's not a goopy aro to begin with and it was relatively dry.

I also barbecue (slow smoke) stuff and no matter the source wood, smoke was always white. And yes, incomplete/low temp combustion (aka smoldering) is what causes the smoke. If the wood you're using gets hot enough to catch fire, it produces far less smoke (also why it's better to "burn" the wood on coals or another heat source rather than lighting it on fire directly, as well as control air intake).

Only time I ever saw blue smoke was on an internal combustion engine that was burning oil.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Here's an observation: with cigars, you'll notice that the mouth end smoke is greyish white, but the charred end gives off blueish smoke.

On my BBQ, I wait until smoke turns blueish and no longer grey, otherwise meat gets a bitter tinge.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
More to the point, I don't think smoke color matters with regards to pipe smoking.

Does it taste right and is your pipe not getting too hot? Then you're not doing it wrong.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bluish-gray smoke indicates larger particles, probably a good thing since incomplete combustion is what we’re after. I feel like a Sherlock Holmes story or two described his smoke as blue, but [citation needed].

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I've always found that tobacco smoke has always had a mildly blue tint. Cigarettes in particular!