PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Probably lots of threads on this subject but wanted to ask those who are using an air purifier what is your opinion on the best on market today, or ones to avoid. I am looking to buy a good one for my garage work bench area for bad weather conditions.

Reactions: JOHN72

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I am also curious. I have a Winix with a plasma filter. I can't complain about it, but i am really curious what others say.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There is only one way to get rid of odor completely, and that is to have adequate ventilation. A complete change of air in 5 minutes. The closer the exhaust fan is to the smoke source, the better.

True HEPA filters work, but again, the unit has to be sized to provide adequate flow for a given room size.

Electrostatic precipitators are of questionable use. They have been shown to actually increase levels of ultrfine particulates, probably due to ozone generation. They are usually set up with furnace filters, activated carbon and HEPA filters either preceeding or after the precipitator. All require cleaning and/or maintenance. Unfortunately, electrostic precipitators also generate ozone.

Ozone generators help, but you don’t want to breath in the ozone. Ozone is also detrimental to vulcanite.

Scents, perfumes and other sprays just add to the potpourri. Products like Febreeze are also known endocrine disruptors.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I use a Levoit air purifier in my garage/ home work room for the smoke. It has a two part filter, one of which is charcoal.

It works well in my opinion. Helps clear out the smoke.

However if I was going to smoke inside my house around daily living areas I would invest in a different one that is super high quality. Perhaps the one @americaman recommend.

Reactions: Elric

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I use a Levoit air purifier in my garage/ home work room for the smoke. It has a two part filter, one of which is charcoal.

It works well in my opinion. Helps clear out the smoke.

However if I was going to smoke inside my house around daily living areas I would invest in a different one that is super high quality. Perhaps the one @americaman recommend.
The IQAir units look very interesting, but I can’t find any information, aside from vague mentions of filters and chemicals and trademarked buzzwords, on how they operate. Can anyone direct me to an explaination of the mechanics behind the magic? I must have missed it.

And I don’t see “smoke” listed anywhere.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Buzz Saw

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2022
Southeast Indiana
-I purchased a RabbitairA3 awhile back and like it a lot. It helps with cooking odors as well as smoke. I don't have an exhaust fan so I am not going to say there are no traces of smoke smell to a sensitive nose but it does work very well. I would make the same purchase again today.knowing what I know.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
There is only one way to get rid of odor completely, and that is to have adequate ventilation. A complete change of air in 5 minutes. The closer the exhaust fan is to the smoke source, the better.

True HEPA filters work, but again, the unit has to be sized to provide adequate flow for a given room size.

Electrostatic precipitators are of questionable use. They have been shown to actually increase levels of ultrfine particulates, probably due to ozone generation. They are usually set up with furnace filters, activated carbon and HEPA filters either preceeding or after the precipitator. All require cleaning and/or maintenance. Unfortunately, electrostic precipitators also generate ozone.

Ozone generators help, but you don’t want to breath in the ozone. Ozone is also detrimental to vulcanite.

Scents, perfumes and other sprays just add to the potpourri. Products like Febreeze are also known endocrine disruptors.
Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce Mr F^cking Sunshine!

But yes ventilation is what’s going to give you the most bang for your buck.

Maybe leave the garage door open a bit then then a combination of a fan and a space heater?

In line vent fans. After trying those HEPA air things with the $200 replacement filters, Electrostatic thingies, and about $1000 in other gadgets, inline fans were way cheaper and easy to install from the attic.

That said, I barely ever use it any more. The trick is... just smoke. It's your home. And, if SWMBO is against it, she will get used to the aroma, and soon it will merely be the smell of home.

Reactions: woodsroad

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Among other things, I happen to sell a high end line of air purifiers, I never mentioned it because I don’t want to break the forum rules about soliciting.

The air purifier helps my prevent strain between me and my smoke hating wife.

Non-specifically I’d steer you toward something with both Hepa and carbon filters.

(Also, I’ve always wanted to try an inexpensive lampe berger)

Reactions: Old_Newby