Nevada
Rolex pocket pipe.

IMAG0418_zps1f00c782.jpg

Little LHS pocket folder.

IMAG0416_zps0f1c414b.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Worth noting, some of my best small pipes weren't sold as compact or pocket pipes in particular. When pipe makers

scale down pipes to be compact, they sometimes overdo it and make the bowls too small or the shank and stem

unnecessarily short even for this purpose. Whereas, when pipe makers simply go for a smaller pipe, it often has

better proportions and smoking characteristics. Some of my best small pipes weren't sold as pocket pipes or

compacts at all, and they really do the job.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
If you don't want to compromise on bowl size, you could always get a pipe with an army bit - just take out the stem and stow it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The thing about short pipes, chubbies or nose warmers, as some call em, is that, for me at least, they are best suited for outdoors smoking. Indoors, these short pipes may get smoke in your eyes, and cause tearing up. There's good reason for standard shanks to be as long as they are, and that is to keep the smoke out of your eyes. Outdoors, this isn't a problem, of course, given the slightest of breezes. If you're after a shortish pipe then a standard short billiard in the Group 3 size might fit the bill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kashmir, that's a useful observation about "nosewarmer pipes" doing better outdoors. I'm looking at several,

but I hadn't factored in the indoor-outdoor factor. Forums is loaded with useful information.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Chacom makes another small pipe line called the Rafting, although they are quite expensive and would have to refill a fair few times if you are out most of the day. Maybe a spigot or army mount pipe you could disassemble to fit in a pocket would be better simply for bowl size.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I have a small EA Carey 10 minute full bent Billiard which cost £20 but it makes a great day to day pipe. It's small enough to carry around and frugal enough that you don't mind it taking a knock or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.