PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Dear,

Can anyone please suggest to me an affordable small bowl pipe, and what size would those bowls be?
Or to ask differently, what is best? Fill the bowl half way up, or save a bowl and smoke it a little by little through the day? Does it start to taste ash?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
MM Tom Sawyer cob.

Get any smaller than that and you might as well light up and smoke a fuse.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Sure was small! Gonna give this one a try, maybe get the Huck Finn.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Actually, small pipes are quite useful in various ways. I am currently having a home mix Va./bur/Cav in

an Old Dominion Laughing Chief, which is I think their smallest pipe, what would be a Group 1. Along

these lines, I also have a Peterson Belgique, another Group 1, and an Ewa churchwarden (available at

Iwan Ries online site) that is a Group 2. You mention a ten minute smoke, but even the Group 1's will

go for fifteen or twenty minutes or more with flake or longer burning loose tobacco. They tend to burn

a bowl thoroughly too. I think every pipe stable should have a full range of pipes along with mostly the

medium sized bowls, the small ones and the extra large. They all have their place with various situations,

blends, and cuts. Small pipes aren't toys or souvenirs, if they are well made. Forums member fishnbanjo

put me onto smaller pipes, showing off some of his extraordinary artisan pipes that are small. I asked myself

why he would do that, and bought a smaller pipe and found out. I took this little cob to a national bluegrass

festival and smoked it during intermission (outside the arena of course) and was surprised what a long smoke I had.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I really like to enjoy a full medium sized bowl for 40 min, and I think thats when im having my best smoke, while relaxing and taking my time. But in this weather, no way. It will be freezing soon, here in Norway. And with a small sized bowl, I can still change tobacco and taste the difference etc

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you are going to with a small MM cob go with the Huck Finn as the Tom Sawyer is ridiculously small to the point of being nothing more than a toy. But, that's just my opinion.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
If you are going to with a small MM cob go with the Huck Finn as the Tom Sawyer is ridiculously small to the point of being nothing more than a toy. But, that's just my opinion.
Yeah, Ive noticed. Gonna get the Huck Finn so I dont burn my nose

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I keep an MM Tom Sawyer in my truck at all times and it delivers a very nice, short smoke.
If you want something slightly bigger, the MM Eaton is a nice size as well.
Phil ... you keep calling the MM Tom Sawyer a "toy" but I feel as though you have not

really spent any time smoking it. After many, many short smokes with mine I have

to give credit where it's due.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have a few small bowl pipes. First the MM Eaton, it gets a lot of use and cost around $4. I have a few small bulldog shape pipes I found on ebay for Around $9 each. I also have a no name mini churchwarden and two nose warmers. Also a Stanwell featherweight I use for flakes. I also recently found two shag pipes at $9 each. Shag pipes were made for smoking roll your own tobacco. Think quick smoke break back in WW2 era. I think I have the same one on the bottom of this ebay listing!
This guy has had these shag pipes listed for a while. He recently increased his price for some reason? But they are small Bulldogs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIFE-DOBBELMANN-WW-2-SHAG-PIPE-COLLECTION-GERMANY-FRANCE-OLDENKOTT-TOBACCO-/191440010751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c92b6bdff

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Hummm, I really thought the Eaton, Huck Finn, and Tom Sawyer were the exact same bowl just with different length shanks/ bits.
Small and toy like would go to the Shortstop, which is the MM minature bowl with a much longer shank/ bit.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I will normally fill a medium bowl and smoke it throughout the day. On the way to work, perhaps a time or two at work on break, on the way home. I haven't really noticed a flavor drop from the first of the bowl to the last.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a Tsuge Blowfish that I had bought for the purpose of a short smoke but I realized that I can't get the packing of it down and it just sit in its sock. I will load my regular Rattray Butcher's boy up and then relight it as need through the day.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have never used a small bowl. After thinking about some of the comments, I am going to keep an eye out for one.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I like a MM Legend. It'll give you the option of a couple of short smokes during the day or one longer one; I usually get 40 minutes out of a bowl. Nice size, low cost and versatile IMHO.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I got a used army style no name pipe recently, It was smaller than I realised when buying it but have been using it for stronger slower burning stuff like plugs or ropes and I like it a lot. Obvious added bonus is generally they are going to be light so great for clenching.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I usually fill up a medium-sized bowl, and I'll smoke it on the way to work, relight it a couple of times on breaks, and then refill it at lunch. That lasts me for the post-lunch smoke, an afternoon break, and on the way home. There may be some flavor drop, but I don't know... During those times, I'm not after a tasty, leisurely smoke, though. Your mileage may vary.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My Dr. Grabow Lark is pretty small and it smokes very well.
Its the one that I carry in the bottom of my pouch.
But they may not be available overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.