PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think C&D is making hay while the sun shines. On the remote chance that the deeming date gets moved forward to recent years or the present, which could be some future time, they'd be in under that wire. Mainly, they have the blenders and the customer base for these many premium blends. Even since their Morganton, N.C., days they were and are the masters of using burley in upscale blends, and now they are branching out everywhere. If all you smoked were C&D blends, you'd have many excellent options.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cosmic: My jarred open tins I won't ever finish stress me out to no end. Will my tastes change? Will the aging tobacco change enough for me to like them again? I should put them in a box and forget about it, but I can't.
I'm the same way with snowmobiles. And tools. And horses. Yikes.
Perhaps sign up for some meditation sessions?? I'm only half joking.... And I don't know you well enough to know if you were funnin'.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
C&D seems to be one of the only blending houses that still comes out with new blends despite the looming FDA deeming regulations. I appreciate their willingness keep things interesting for us even though they know it will be short lived. Thank you C&D!

Jan 8, 2013
C&D seems to be one of the only blending houses that still comes out with new blends despite the looming FDA deeming regulations.
Yep. The thought on my mind the whole time I was reading this thread is this. They're blenders doing what blenders do, and making the most of it while they can. And I applaud them for it. Until the regulations take effect, there is nothing saying they can't keep coming out with new blends until then. Most, if not all, of the newer blends will be disappearing of course, but they can still say they did their thing. I think it's fantastic! Just don't get too attached unless you're able to stock up!

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
That I remember, merging with Laudisi...but say that all the online retailers get closed due to laws and regulations for shipping tobacco to states....will cornell and diehl seize also? or hopefully they will ship to my local tobacconist to buy there...I hope so.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Until the regulations take effect, there is nothing saying they can't keep coming out with new blends until then.
Actually, that’s not true. But then again, these aren’t “new” blends, in the eyes of the FDA.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I cut my teeth on C&D blends, and a few GLP. I have been impressed since day one and easily can smoke them all day. Right now cycling through Dreams of Kadath, Opening Night, Sunday Picnic, CRF and Fillmore. I have tried Jack Knife Plug, but struggle to appreciate the Burley.
I have a dozen more on my wish list but it'll take time to get through what I have. I need to heed Cosmics advice and smoke more!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I thought that the very deep catalog of blends has been very much in their favor as per the deeming regulations. I haven't tried, but I would pretty happy smoking their stuff all of the time.
I thought I read deep in the FDA regs that you could actually rename a blend that was continuously produced, as long as it was the name only that was changed. I have said, basically this, before but I didn't pay attention to if I was corrected or not. I thought they could rename some of less popular blends, and still appear that they are coming out with new blends, when it is just marketing less popular ones.
I am not bothered by the huge catalog. If you like blend from them, it isn't difficult to find 5 others from them that are similar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Really, there are a lot of things that can be done to change a blend and still remain compliant with FDA regularions. Different leaf sources, different processes, cuts and of course, different names.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have been buying C&D blends of tobacco since they moved to North Carolina. My hope is that Chris and company continue to turn out quality blends and allow us to enjoy.
The more the better!
I readily agree that I may be off the OP's original point, but in my world, no pipe smoker can go wrong with C&D.
And the reason, is that you are going to find something that you like.
C&D is going to treat you so many good ways, you are going to like one of them.
My two cents,

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have been buying C&D blends of tobacco since they moved to North Carolina. My hope is that Chris and company continue to turn out quality blends and allow us to enjoy.
The more the better!
I readily agree that I may be off the OP's original point, but in my world, no pipe smoker can go wrong with C&D.
And the reason, is that you are going to find something that you like.
C&D is going to treat you so many good ways, you are going to like one of them.
My two cents,

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I also think there are a bit too many. Don't get me wrong I very much like many of their blends.

But I also agree that their portfolio is exploding recently.

On the other side there is similar "issue" with P&C/Russ' blends - they just keep creating more and more varieties :).

While I like that, I am getting lost in the myriad of blends :).

codyl

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
Is Chris Tarler still part of C&D or Laudisi? When last browsing on C&D and Laudisi pages I didn't see any mention or bio of him - if there is I missed it.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
The good kind of problem to have. (Too many blends to try, that is.)
At various times I've been tempted to try every single product in a category (album by an artist, books by an author, blends by a producer) but it's not generally an overwhelming urge. In that light, the increasing number of C&D blends can only be seen as a good thing, provided it doesn't mean the quitting of earlier blends, which it doesn't appear to do.
I guess if I felt compelled to try all of the blends and compare and contrast, the very large number would be daunting or even annoying. Glad I'm not in that boat.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I’ve spent a lot of time in the last several months systematically smoking the same three blends at various moisture levels. Without a doubt, it’s a personal preference, but mine is clear. I like my tobacco drier than most manufacturers package. An exception is C&D. Most of their blends, including the GL Pease blends, have a near perfect moisture content upon opening. I transfer them to a jar or mylar bag and I’m set. No drying before I can smoke. The other benefit is that it you’re paying for more tobacco and less water. It’s a better deal! And if you really like the value argument, the Daughters and Ryan VAPer blends are a steal. They’re not among my favorites, however.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I was digging through the archives today (as I sometimes do), and I came across an old thread which I think is pertinent to this one. There's a lot of good discussion, and even some input from Sykes Wilford, CEO/Grand Poobah/Majordomo of Laudisi: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/campd-time-for-some-focus

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Great thread. Still a lot of blends and several still have generic tin art however.. I would think since they wanted to update that it would be done 4 years later..

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the generic tin art is intentional, and did change somewhat. I read somewhere that the "plain Jane" tin art is for blends that are:
a) available in bulk

b) didn't already have distinctive tin art
These are also color-coded by components, apparently. But I haven't tried to verify. And as with about everything in our little corner of the world, there are a handful of exceptions for every rule (for example, I think Three Friars has just recently gotten proper tin art, instead of being a plain label).

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you want to make a lot of money, you make 1 item and you make it over and over and over again. Having 300+ different sku's is diametrically opposite of the traditional business model.
My humble guess is that they produce that many blends because it makes them happy. Not being flip. Sometimes, as a business owner, you have the luxury to do things the way YOU want. I bet that's the case here. They do what they want and don't really give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.