PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
I am new to the forums, but have been smoking a pipe for four years. Just got into shaping Mr. Brog rejects and making briars. Have 40 cobs, 40 pear root and approximately 150 briars. I also have a meerchaum and porcelain pipe. I like Sutliff tobaccos. The pipe hobby has taken its hold on me. I just received a few estates and trying to repair a Comoy H.M.W. because the stem had a hole but through. Learning lots from reading the posts and am happy to join.
Best regards,

Richard

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welcome to the forums! I've thought about buying that same set of rejects from Mr. Brog. Not really into the idea of pear wood, though. I just want to practice on briar. Currently have a good pre-drilled kit on the way that I hope I can carve into something special. Haven't tried anything from sutliff yet, but hope to sometime soon. Welcome aboard!

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
I think I just wanted to get some for the practice of shaping. Pear is alright. Pipe gets a little hotter. I haven’t had any kits yet. First briar I made was made with Dremel and hand chisels.
I just started with Savinelli pipes this year. The best briar I had smoked this far. Have many Missouri Meerchaum cobs. I feel they have a place in my rotation.
Thanks for the welcoming carolinachurchwarden!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome aboard! I've also been known to make a pipe or two, this was my first. Made using a drill press and a combo disc and belt sander.
img_20130705_1449433.jpg

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
Think I have the hang of posting pics now. 110 briars in the box. Most have some pitting. Thinking of setting tigers eye or something like turquoise in epoxy to accent the voids and not hide them. Have 20 more estate in the basement waiting for cleaning and refinishing.
Hope that was satisfying mikethompson.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, Sutliff makes some fine blends. Right now in rotation I'm enjoying their Lord Nelson, a well balanced flavorful English.

rollinrich11

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
Lord Nelson is my go to English right now. Have a few English blends like Medal of Valor, Dark English, Connoisseur and Old Professor. Jumped into vapers like Peter Stokkebye luxury bullseye and navy flake. My aromatics are Optimum, Nougat, Mark Twain, Founding Fathers and Christmas blend. Not all Sutliff, but I think it’s a good start to my rotation.
I find it crazy how much the tobacco is affected by bowl size, wood type and if filters are involved.
What are your thoughts mso489?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the forums! I moved out of Tacoma when I retired from the Army in 2016. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the Seattle Pipe Club, located right in Fife at Smokey Joe's Cigar Bar. I like your collection. I wish I was better at crafting stuff.
Maybe we can meet up sometime at Smokey Joes if I get up there. I still have a sister and friends up there.
Take care,
Mike

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sorry to be so late welcoming you, Richard! Howdy from the upstate of SC!
Even though I favor Cornell & Diehl (Black Frigate, Belmont Station, Blockade Runner) & any of the various 3 Nuns leafs, I like Sutliff too, 245 ZBC especially. Not overly cloying for the smoker, & a more appreciated room note than lat bombs or some of the curly cuts. :)
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.