PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Jesse, you bring up an exceptional point. The nose out of joint, holier than thou fussbudgets who fake a cough when they even think they get a whiff of tobacco smoke don't know, and could care less, what pollutants they are creating for the rest of the world to enjoy. I love when innate hypocrisy and scientific ignorance pair up to make beautiful, harping music together.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There is a segment of humanity that feels compelled to imagine a Perfect World (whether it aligns with reality or not is irrelevant), and then do whatever they think is required to modify the behavior of Man to match that vision, whether Man likes it or not.
That group has always existed, and will only become louder and screechier as communication technology advances make their vision appear ever more attainable.
They are tireless. They are driven. They are like zombies that will never stop.
Welcome to post-industrial Planet Earth.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
There is a segment of humanity that feels compelled to imagine a Perfect World---whether it aligns with reality or not is irrelevant---and then do whatever is required to modify the behavior of Man to match that vision
Bravo. This is so true, and it's a little frightening. It is getting harder and harder to distinguish today's acceptable behavior from what were once societal norms. The 'lines' seem to be getting blurrier, with right and wrong being constantly challenged to meet the needs of the moment.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Spot on, George. The problem is that we are generally polite and believe in reason. They do not. They will win, until we all lose.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
My 4 y/o daughter recently grabbed my newest PAD release, like right out of the box on opening, and popped it right into her mouth with a smile. I felt conflicted...I really didn't want her to break it but good grief was she cute!!!!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm surprised Slate published that I thought they were very liberal.
I'm surprised they hired an former writer from Cato.org.
It's the old, "Correlation is not causation" thing. Many universities are running their computers on overdrive looking for things like this. When they land on one that looks sexy it goes straight to the media. Later, after it fails peer review there just might be a correction hidden somewhere. Either that, or the public just files the information away in their collective minds as an absolute truth.
Two greater failures of science are the rush to ban dietary fat and the misguided studies that showed high dose chemo was more effective than regular dose chemo for breast cancer. Both of those errors caused untold suffering and early deaths for thousands in the 70s and 80s. We can only wonder what accepted truths of today are tomorrow's blunders. There is a clue, I suppose. If you see a scientist testifying before Congress saying immediate action is needed, don't believe it. (Unless there is a flying saucer parked on the National Mall)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Unless there is a flying saucer parked on the National Mall
dayearthstoodstill1.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Beware the Mob and those who gain power by the Mob. The Flying Saucer has already Left the National Mall.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A better example of this:
That group has always existed, and will only become louder and screechier as communication technology advances make their vision appear ever more attainable.
...would be difficult to find:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/thats-not-a-cigar?utm_term=.fhjOKbaBP&ref=mobile_share#.yyWBLVnA3

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Gee...does this mean that the dangers of "3rd hand smoke" is also just bullshit? I just don't know what to believe anymore.
Is it The Onion, or is it Scientific American?
What is third-hand smoke? Is it hazardous?
Researchers warn cigarette dangers may be even more far-reaching
Ever take a whiff of a smoker's hair and feel faint from the pungent scent of cigarette smoke?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-third-hand-smoke/

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Question for you older guys (like me) who remember The Day the Earth Stood Still from when you were a kid...
How many years before the absurdity that Gort had been given pants dawned on you? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.