PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Great Looking Group! I love seeing shape collections. You should commission another 2 cousins rack to display them. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two Cousins did beautiful work for me, on a gift certificate. I asked for an old-barn-wood look, and they did that one,

but sent pictures giving me the option of that and another more conventional rack. I went with the barn wood, and they

said that was the one they liked best too. Mine has a drop front, to conserve space better than a drawer. I have a larger

cabinet, a later gift, an open sided rack, and an heirloom (my grandfathers, then Dad's) circular rack with tobacco jar, but

the Two Cousins rack is somewhat the central shrine. 'Love to see a photo of the rack with pipes.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Foggy, I'm jumping on the Thruway entrance 17 and jumping off on exit 19 to 28! Gorgeous pipes my fellow HV resident, smoke them in good health! :puffy:
Nate

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Very nice Foggy, and very jealous. I am still trying to acquire my first dunny!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, outstanding set of pipes, congrats on a great addition to your collection. I second the idea of foggy showing his entire collection. What say you foggy, how about starting a new thread with a ton of great pics.

Aug 14, 2012
Harris: Photographing pipes is not my idea of a good time. And lately I have been messing up on the color balance. I have lots of canvases recently cut for painting projects. That takes priority. But I will do some pipe photography this summer and post pictures to satisfy your curiosity. There will also be 4-5 of the Dunhills I never smoke offered for sale at good prices starting in June. I am replacing those with shapes that I do smoke, especially 4303 Bruyeres and these little Princes.

I hope you are having a better time with your health lately, but in that respect welcome to the club.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Wow, foggy. You are a fortunate man indeed. Those princes are so sleek, and the grain and stain colors play off each other so well on your two favorites.

quicksilver

Lurker
May 22, 2015
Those are beautiful pipes. I love the Prince shape - it's so languid and elegant. Perhaps my favorite Dunhill shape.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What I notice about the "Prince" in these pics, and I guess it's typical, is that what actually makes them Princes is the curved stem, not any curve in the shank..and perhaps the bowl size.

quicksilver

Lurker
May 22, 2015
I agree. I think a Prince always looks best up to a Group 4.Proportionally, the bowl is always quite small and squat with that elegant curve in the stem. My Dunhill Ring Grain Prince is my favourite pipe. For some reason, English blends seem to smoke best in Princes and I've dedicated mine to My Mixture 965.
You can also get a straight Prince without the curved stem. It still makes a very elegant pipe.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
What I notice about the "Prince" in these pics, and I guess it's typical, is that what actually makes them Princes is the curved stem, not any curve in the shank..and perhaps the bowl size.
Dunhill has a lot of straight "princes", model numbers being 3107, 4107, rather than 3407, 4407, etc. The 1 being a straight stem vs 4 being a bent stem.
But I agree with you, it's not really a prince in my opinion unless the stem is bent downward 1/8th. The prince shape is one of the most rigidly defined. Too squat and it's a tomato, too tall and it's an apple. You also stray into the author shape if the proportions are stubby. I'm not sure what I'd call a prince bowl with a straight stem, but I don't regard them as a true prince. I guess they should be called a squat apple.
Here's a 3107 as an example.
Dunhill-Cumberland-3107-Group-3-smoking-pipe-584-Dunhill-584-Alpascia-img-85370-w580-h170.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.