georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A mainstay of mine for 40 years.

Try it. You'll be glad you did. :)
Keema Muttar Methi
---------------------------------

1 lb lean ground beef

1/4 cup oil (don't worry, it doesn't remain in the dish---that much is necessary for it to cook right)

2 tennis-ball-sized onions (medium chopped)

1 cup green peas (frozen are best---canned are too soft)

1/8 cup dried Fenugreek (Methi) leaves

1 tsp finely mashed/chopped garlic (fresh only---the pre-grated kind in a jar is flat and tasteless)

1 tsp grated ginger (the pre-grated kind in a babyfood-sized jar is quite good)

1 tsp hot chili powder (not cayenne, but the Indian store kind)

1 tsp salt

----------------------------------

Medium-Brown the onions in the oil, adding the garlic and ginger during the last 2 minutes

Add the meat, chili powder, and salt. Brown thoroughly, cutting and stirring, until the oil separates

Stir in 1 cup water and the fenugreek leaves, cover the pan, and set heat to medium-low

Cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally

DRAIN THOROUGHLY by putting the mixture into a sieve or colander, and leaving for 5-10 minutes (greasy is bad!)

Return to pan, and stir in peas (cook peas separately before adding)

Toss-mix with pre-cooked plain Basmati rice to taste. Start out a light ratio, though---this is "punchy" and doesn't take as much as you expect to make a flavor bomb.

It's AMAZING. Far tastier than the short ingredient list would imply.

Doubling the recipe works fine. (Takes a pretty big pan to hold, though)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Eggs that have separated yolk and white make me nauseous when I get a whiff of them in fried eggs, soft boiled, or poached. Since toddler hood. I believe it's all psychological but am too old to care or change now.

Hard boiled is fine, as are scrambled or omelets.

Reactions: El Capitán

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Eggs that have separated yolk and white make me nauseous when I get a whiff of them in fried eggs, soft boiled, or poached. Since toddler hood. I believe it's all psychological but am too old to care or change now.

That’s fascinating. First time I have heard of this. Amazing how everyone is wired differently.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana

That's the only way I'll eat a fried egg sammich. Otherwise I like my eggs over easy.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm struggling somewhat with the idea of you being a toddler ;)

Regards,

Jay.
Not quite sure if that's a compliment or a horrendous insult.... or neither!

But I assure you, Jay and Coz, I've been through most life stages (all except death) starting from my Mom's egg and Dad's squirt. Don't remember some stages, but I was there!

:sher:

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
A mainstay of mine for 40 years.

Try it. You'll be glad you did. :)
Keema Muttar Methi
---------------------------------

1 lb lean ground beef

1/4 cup oil (don't worry, it doesn't remain in the dish---that much is necessary for it to cook right)

2 tennis-ball-sized onions (medium chopped)

1 cup green peas (frozen are best---canned are too soft)

1/8 cup dried Fenugreek (Methi) leaves

1 tsp finely mashed/chopped garlic (fresh only---the pre-grated kind in a jar is flat and tasteless)

1 tsp grated ginger (the pre-grated kind in a babyfood-sized jar is quite good)

1 tsp hot chili powder (not cayenne, but the Indian store kind)

1 tsp salt

Medium-Brown the onions in the oil, adding the garlic and ginger during the last 2 minutes

Add the meat, chili powder, and salt. Brown thoroughly, cutting and stirring, until the oil separates

Stir in 1 cup water and the fenugreek leaves, cover the pan, and set heat to medium-low

Cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally

DRAIN THOROUGHLY by putting the mixture into a sieve or colander, and leaving for 5-10 minutes (greasy is bad!)

Return to pan, and stir in peas (cook peas separately before adding)

Toss-mix with pre-cooked plain Basmati rice to taste. Start out a light ratio, though---this is "punchy" and doesn't take as much as you expect to make a flavor bomb.

It's AMAZING. Far tastier than the short ingredient list would imply.

Doubling the recipe works fine. (Takes a pretty big pan to hold, though)
How essential are the Fenugreek (Methi) leaves to the flavor? I've not seen them at the grocers.

Nevermind! My wife says we have Fenugreek powder. I never knew!

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Good bread, good cheese and a can of anchovies. Washed down with some Japanese lager. If my dogs aren't around, maybe a banana. The girls won't leave me alone if they smell banana.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Oh, my Heavens! How did you find that pic of me? It was when we (parents and I) were guests for a month at Balmoral.
It's a lovely place. I remember a story from a US tourist who met and chatted with a man and older lady while walking on the grounds, and didn't realize until later that it was the queen and her bodyguard.

Just curious, but did the queen let you smoke inside? (I'm too polite to ask which queen...)

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No. Strictly no smoking for us kids at all.

Chuck and I snuck into one of the barns to steal a moment and a smoke. The Queen Mother was onto us, though; could smell in on breath and clothes.

• Haha
Reactions: romaso