PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Howdy, I have a silly question, if I am 20 and live in Indiana, and I am in Chicago would I be thrown right out if I went in and only looked around in a pipe store? again silly question.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Thank you, I think ill be giving it a shot next time I am up that way, its a shame though that the closest shops to me are in a different state.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Yes you can go look around and that is fine, but it does sound like you are worried about someone looking down on you for it. You can always just go in and look then if someone asks you if you need help, just say I really need some pipe cleaners. Then you get out of the store with only a couple bucks spent.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Walk in with a pipe in your jaw, and you'll be fine. We are all walks, and all ages. BTW, check this out.
http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-store-locator/indiana/

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Thank you all for your aid, I am glad to be a part of a responsive and understanding community. I did look at the store finder, however I live in the top left area of Indiana, with the nearest store (tinderbox) being closed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If memory serves, you are old enough to purchase tobacco products in the state of Illinois.
So you should be in good shape. Iwan Ries grows sales by growing a customer base. Wander in, ask questions, learn about pipes and tobacco. The only way this hobby stays alive is by folks like you picking up stick, leaf and flame.
Welcome to the community. I hope you get your questions answered.
Let us know how the visit goes.
-- Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Chicago, as mentioned above,
Iwan Ries & Co. - 19 S. Wabash Avenue - Chicago, IL 60603
(800) 621-1457 or (312) 372-1306
http://www.iwanries.com/home.cfm

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Check out Iwan Ries by clicking on their sponsor link on the left of the Forums, in red. Go to their home page. You can see their selection of products and some pictures of their lounge. Pipe shops intend to be inviting. Whether they are upscale or basic, they want customers, even just browsers in hopes you'll buy something later. Don't spend money unless you want the item. Get their business card(s) and you can get back if you want something you saw, later. And you can tell them that, that you are thinking it over and may get back. You're the customer, so within the limits of civility, you may do as you please. I've been dealing with Iwan Ries for years and have always found them helpful and pleasant. I've heard a few reports of sour sales people, but maybe it was a bad day or an unhappy employee. Mostly, they're good folks. Don't let the fancy shop put you off. It's all meant to impress you.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I thank everyone for their advice, I have looked at Iwan Ries many a times, however if I am not mistaken the smoking age in Illinois is 21, whereas here in Indiana it is 18. I set out looking as to whether I would be able to go in to shops,this was answered and I gladly got so much more, it gives a young pipe smoker hope.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
In Indiana, I know people speak highly of Riegels in Fort Wayne,
624 S. Calhoun St.

Ft. Wayne, Indiana 46802

Phone Number: 260-424-1429
and Briar & Burley in Bloomington,
2896 E. 3rd Street

Bloomington, Indiana 47404

Phone Number: (812) 332-3300
http://www.briarburley.com/

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Just and update on my quest, I was successfully able to walk into Iwan Ries proudly smoking a basket briar no problem. And I left with another sweetheart (A Savinelli 504 bulldog) and a tin of Plumcake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries hasn't been around for 148 years (or whatever it is now) by giving customers the bums rush. Glad you took the leap. Thanks for reporting back.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Yah I was glad I was able to do business with them, and even happier to leave with a new pipe to help start my collection. Here is to hopefully many more.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I walked into my first pipe store in December, 1960, when I was a sophomore at Mizzou. It was Fred Diebel's, in the Country Club Plaza of Kansas City, a very ritzy pipe store in a very upscale shopping district. Fred was the milk of kindness and taught me a great deal of what I still know about pipe smoking. In April, for my 19th birthday my then-girlfriend bought me my first quality pipe, also from Fred Diebel. Over the years I bought quite a few pipes and many pounds of tobacco from Fred. When I was in VietNam (1969-1970,) Fred shipped quite a few pounds of tobacco to me, and still more pipes, and I had the privilege of introducing many of my buddies to the joys of pipesmoking. So you see, a casual stroll into a quality pipe shop will give you a real leg-up into the hobby, and the pleasure you get will stick with you for years to come.

Welcome to the hobby and to many years of happy puffing.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Why thank you, hopefully The experiences I will have and those of whom I can eventually bring into this hobby will be similar to the ones described in fondness.

Status
Not open for further replies.