PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It is! Good spot - it was the first one he'd made. The chambers are a little more conical than my other Operas & they smoke like a dream. So much so that I've already paid the deposit on the next two of a seven day set. Super-excited about the project!

The next two are going to be a blast & a smooth cross cut (one with a horn stem), then two reverse cross cuts - a blast & a smooth again - & the last will be panelled.
Wow, I’m so excited to see this set! Gustavo is at the top of my list of artisans to get a pipe from and his blasts are just phenomenal.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Wow, I’m so excited to see this set! Gustavo is at the top of my list of artisans to get a pipe from and his blasts are just phenomenal.
Me too - though it'll be a while with his waiting list & saving up!

I really can't recommend him enough. I've three - all are great smokers & his stemwork is fantastic. He's also absolutely lovely & an actual pleasure to get a commission from.

Crossing my fingers you get one soon!

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I just bought two Castello opera pipes today on Smoking Pipes. If anyone sees any other opera pipes for sale, I would appreciate a head‘s up. Thx.

Mike

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Any makers. I think an oval bowl opening is required and it would be great if it is stamped "opera." Thanks.

Here are screenshots of the two i purchased today. Better photos to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Nice buy! Where did you find it? I’ve got a 1963 and have been trying to find a 1964.
There was a local auction with 3 lots of amazing pipes, a wall hanging pipe cabinet, pipe stands, etc etc. there was even a tin of MacBaren Scottish from the 80’s that ended up being sealed. The lot with the Opera was completely overlooked compared to the others as it was in with some other old pipes. Don’t think most people knew what it was. I went hard and grabbed it all.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
There was a local auction with 3 lots of amazing pipes, a wall hanging pipe cabinet, pipe stands, etc etc. there was even a tin of MacBaren Scottish from the 80’s that ended up being sealed. The lot with the Opera was completely overlooked compared to the others as it was in with some other old pipes. Don’t think most people knew what it was. I went hard and grabbed it all.
Amazing! Glad to hear that there are still some pipes and tobacco wins in our home and native land 🇨🇦

• Love
Reactions: BenMN and JSPiper71

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I love the Perla nera finish; I have a Castello billiard also. I’m going to pick one to smoke and see how the sheen holds up over time. Any care suggestions welcome.
Yeah it’s amazing that the color is made of bugs.

I don’t have any advice but I’m sure someone will chime in shortly. Maybe @briarblues?