PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Yeah it’s amazing that the color is made of bugs.

I don’t have any advice but I’m sure someone will chime in shortly. Maybe @briarblues?
The "dress" finish on any pipe will wear down over time. Peterson, Stanwell, Dunhill, Ascorti, Castello and all. Not quickly, but from being held in hand the finish / stain on any pipe will show signs of fading. If left in direct sunlight, the finish will also fade / alter over time.

It's nothing to be concerned about. Most often as the "dress" finish begins to fade you'll end up with a really nice contrast finish.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Just added this little Stanwell to my collection. The white ring originally was ivory, but had shrunk. I asked Sacramento based pipe carver Phil Rivara to replace the ring. The results are excellent. You can see the grain has begun creeping its way through the black dress finish. The previous owner appears to have enjoyed Lakeland blends, but a good 48 hours with damp coffee grounds in chamber and shank has removed almost 90% of the ghosts.

Attachments

• stanwell.jpg
    stanwell.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I quite often warm up to shapes and finishes I used to dislike but opera is one that I always feel a pretty strong aversion to still. Who knows though, maybe one day it will just click for me like the hawkbill shape did.

Reactions: AroEnglish

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Resistance is futile!!! Just arrived from Tabaccheria Corti ( a site sponsor ). A very unusual Castello shape 44 opera pipe. This 2k Natural Vergin has a briar application on the stem. I suspect it will be offered it's first bowl with Escudo.

Attachments

• nv01.jpg
    nv01.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 7