PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
The beauty and quality of the raw, aged briar in that chamber is outstanding—and a big part of the reason Castellos such sweet smokers.
I have only a couple years worth of experience with the brand however I have yet to find a compliant about any of them.
They really draw well and smoke consistently between them all.
These Chubby’s have become a handy favorite as they are very convenient to lug around.
I’ve admired all of yours as well !

• Love
Reactions: dunnyboy and BenMN

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Just a personal quirk, of course, but I have difficulty liking the shapes of most Castellos. There's always something that's a little bit "off" regarding the shape. This one in the middle is one of two I own, the other being a more or less classic bent bulldog. Too lazy to take a picture of the bulldog, but here's this one, sandwiched between a Dunhill 4103, my oldest pipe, hence the bite marks, and a Scottie Piersel. The Castello is pretty plain-Jane, but it fits a folded flake perfectly, and I don't remember ever smoking anything else in it. I like it. It's a keeper.

ladyclay 002.jpg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I enjoy other peoples Castellos but they also dont inspire me to buy. All except the ones that cost far more than I am willing to pay. They are experts at having a mistique and making you want to buy one. So for me I also feel mostly the same. But I dont mean to bash them. I really like looking at them in WAYS and this thread but they dont match my aesthetic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I believe you Embers but I have to admit I've never seen one. Every Castello I've seen (a small percentage of the total of course) has been raw briar. What does Castello use for coating?
002-386-5455_2.2340.jpg002-386-5335_2.1588.jpg002-386-5509_2.5019.jpg

Some smokers like the chamber coating because it gives the pipe a finished appearance. Most if not all brands offer pipes on way or the other. I've personally not noticed much difference in pipes with or without.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I the past couple of months I’ve added six estate Castello’s to the collection. Here are four of them and pictures the collections they will join. Two of the pipes have been on my radar for many years and I’m very happy to finally have them.
View attachment 61289View attachment 61290
I added this impressive G/GG Old Antiquari stack billiard to this collection yesterday! I’m very happy to add some variation especially with the beautiful blast and plateau top.
wIjgaaq.jpg

Last edited: