PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedediahsmith

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
How about lip whistles that you can plug into the pipe for a musical smoke?
WhistleLips_150.jpg

But seriously @misterlowercase, I think the trading cars are a brilliant idea.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
How about lip whistles that you can plug into the pipe for a musical smoke?
What a coincidence, many basket pipes already come with this feature built-in :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If some blender were determined to put a "trinket" in the tin, I'd recommend some kind of a little

medallion in an impressive design, with a round eye so it could be worn around the neck or as

a charm on a bracelet for one's wife or GF. The design on this could relate to the blend. Some

would like skulls and dragons, others might prefer something more ethereal like hawks in flight

or sunbursts. The material couldn't be expensive, but it shouldn't be toxic or unstable, so if it is

in there for two years, it won't oxidize into the leaf. They would have to add little noticeable cost

to the tobacco, or I think it would be a negative incentive.

May 31, 2012
For a prize,

Barney's gave away free ashtrays, the lid was suggested to be used as such!

rJWxKY4.jpg

xeijwJ5.jpg

They used odd tins, I guess you could call 'em a hockey puck style, not a twist top, but sealed with a rubber tab wrapped around.

OOMVbFf.jpg

Here's a few plain old inserts from the past...
iW2oub3.jpg

iFi5o9T.jpg

Joj6T0M.jpg

1wSCRmo.jpg

GfDpgQV.jpg

lDGHTJk.jpg

tKMga67.jpg

L1JnMWY.jpg

q0TX8EP.jpg

2NeJtDv.jpg

6IBkL5u.jpg

A8Jhmu7.jpg

YmxZkm5.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Pipesandcigars could hide boxes of matches in the Hearth and Home tins! :rofl:
Hodirty, that Wise Fox is some good stuff isn't it? I love it.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I thought the prize was the tobacco?! Every time I opened a tin, my eyes gleamed and glistened and I smiled ear to ear like a little kid on christmas day!

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
When I was in school I used to keep words on scraps of paper in tobacco tins...we were issued a tin each by the teachers! Oh, and a lot of the card we used seem to come from bulk tobacco packet waste. Looking back, perhaps it was a cynical method used by tobacco companies to get us into their brands?! Start em young! Hahaha!!!
I used to love the little toys that came in cereal packets...can we have some of those in tins, please? Mind you, these days a tool, or a pen, or perhaps a magnifying glass might be more useful. Like the idea of a tamper though, cool facts about the company or blend etc. Quite like the tokens idea for branded items too...save up for a tobacco pouch, or a pipe pouch etc etc. Or does all this get banned these days under laws around tobacco promotion?!

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I know at least for sure back in the 80's Captain Black would include some "trinkets" in the large tins. My best friends Grandpa smoked it exclusively and he would give us these awesome Captain Black mini Swiss army knifes that I remember him pull out of the tins, I have a couple old plastic tamps from Borkum and I think Erinmore. I would have assumed they were from a large tin as well.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Used to buy from a local B&M , that is no longer around due to the death of the owner /operator , that use to give you a nail style tamper and a box of matches with every tobacco purchase in his shop . Didn't matter if it was a tin or one of his custom blends he included the tamper and matches . Always liked that . He did it till the day he died . He didn't care if economy was good or bad , hard times or not every purchase their was your tamper and matches. I still have several tampers and have never had to purchase one yet . I realize this was a local business man but tobacco companies could afford to slip a tamper in every tin . Just my opinion. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.