Should I know anything about buying a Bulldog?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I don't like sharp edges on a pipe.I hold my thumb around the back of the bowl when I smoke so the shape of the shank of a bulldog bothers me.This probably isn't an issue to most but it keeps me away from this shape.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I think there are two kinds of Bulldogs: The ones with the wide and shallow chamber, and the ones with the more traditional chamber. If you are going to smoke Englishes or Balkans in it, my humble advice is to get the shallower chamber. They seem to work better with those blends for some reason and the smoke does not get so bitter near the bottom, because they are not so deep I guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, let us know when you finally find your first bulldog. You might want to look at pipesandcigars.com Big Ben bulldog with free shipping. I'd shop far and wide and learn a lot.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
By far my favorite shape but I prefer the 1/4 bent. My favorites are Savinelli, Brebbia, and my commissioned Tinsky and Layton.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
British, French, American, just buy one. Maybe two? I have a Butz Chocum bulldog I picked up brand new and a few estates also. Each and everyone is a great smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Sav 673 shape is a good bulldog. It's quarter bent, but not much, and has bead lines. It has a sort of Peterson look for a Sav, and an ample bowl. The Opera version I was gifted has a solid feel but isn't heavy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a Sav, no bead line(s), but a handsome pipe:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=166561

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
The bull dog is the most represented shape in my collection.

There isn't a bad smoker in the bunch. My preference is for the squat style, but as far as shape I don't think you could go wrong.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
A Red Nose is a good choice. Clip the ears if you must, but leave the tail. They need it to keep a proper balance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here you go, smooth bulldog with bead line, reputable brand, good discount:
http://www.iwanries.com/Savinelli-Laguna-Smooth-504-P14776C2187.cfm

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have had some good luck on eBay but I'm picky about what I bid on. I never spend much unless I can see the pipe in person. The top one is the Butz Chocum I got at a local shop for $50 brand new. The bottom one is a Bond Street I got on eBay for $9!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lasttango, I know I'm the one who advised you to shop a lot and take your time ... still do. But let us know what you finally do! Be interesting to know.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I am nuts about Bulldogs! One thing that I find strange is the near absence of the Bullcap or Haiti shape. Last night I was lucky in finding one but it is only my second pipe in this particular shape. Are they out of fashion?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lasttango, good for you. Be sure to get the filter or no-filter arrangement you want. Best is if you can get the pipe designed for smoking the way you'll smoke it, but adapters can be entirely satisfactory too. I'm lining up my Johs straight saddle stem bulldog for a smoke while I vicariously shop for yours. Ha! Also my Stanwell shape 32 bulldog, my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, and my Peterson Around the World bulldog in honor of Ireland. Four, I think that's it, two bent, two straight. Love them dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.