PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I have a couple of basic questions on tobacco blends, I have being smoking W.O. Larsen signature blend I have found that I really like it, I buy a couple of tins but im not sure if I should keep it on the can or put it on a mason jar?
And how I know if the blend (or any other blend) will stay good on a long time storage?
Thanks

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I think that a tin will last at my current consumption speed like 3 weeks...
I don't smoke often because I can't take long breaks at work and I feel that light the pipe to smoke crazy fast is not right so I enjoy maybe 2 or 3 bowls per day if I have the opportunity, I empty the tin in a small Rubbermaid container and that is how I take it with me on my backpack.
I have not open the bags on the other 2 tins so I'm guessing they will be ok if they stay like that for a while...
How long a blend can last in the original pack?

grrrrr609

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
If your gonna smoke it up quickly you can keep it in the tin, but if not then put it in a mason jar. This time of year my house RH drops into the teens so i now jar everything. I have started buying 4 oz jelly jars and been using those for my opened tins. they are small and easy to take "to go" for my daily commute.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I will look for the small jars like the ones that you mention Grrrrrrrrrrr609 (I think i put too many R's), they will be a more stylish alternative to my lunch Rubbermaid red lid container!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
The tins, if sealed, can be kept for years and years. Once opened, put the contents in a jar.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Cool... so as long as I dont open the tins the tobacco will be fine!
When the seal get broken and get exposed to air then moisture level will change and chemical reactions on the blend will start and as result the flavors start changing for good or bad according of what kinds of leaves are in the mix.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm "running through" a tin of Brebbia Calvados, an apple brandy aromatic, but I see that

the clock is running. If you have a lot of tobaccos in rotation, as I do, use a jar. Alas.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I don't have many blends on rotation... so really I'm just stashing some for future use! But I dont want to buy more of what will be fine to keep on storage for the long run...
I'm going to keep 3 tins on backup storage, as I don't smoke that much.
That should be enough to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.