PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I need to send off for some cards, I never thought to do it and assumed it was uncommon now days. QSL cards might give me a reason to get a radio out more than a few times a year, thanks for sharing these!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
let me recommend web SDR.
While I accept SDR has a place, it isn't radio as in the proper sense. Part of the fun in shortwave radio listening is the struggle to winkle out the weak signals from all the noise that permeates the airwaves.

I would liken it to reading an article on a webpage as opposed to reading the same article in a physical book, it's just not the same.

The fact that I can access pretty much any 'radio station' in the world from my laptop kind of defeats the object in my view.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jackets and scloyd

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
While I accept SDR has a place, it isn't radio as in the proper sense. Part of the fun in shortwave radio listening is the struggle to winkle out the weak signals from all the noise that permeates the airwaves.

I would liken it to reading an article on a webpage as opposed to reading the same article in a physical book, it's just not the same.

The fact that I can access pretty much any 'radio station' in the world from my laptop kind of defeats the object in my view.

Regards,

Jay.
I very much agree. There’s something special about pulling in a signal(and sending back for hams) on nothing but a radio and a piece of wire.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Isn't a SDR just a radio you build yourself by adapting an antenna to the hardware you already have (computer) with a dongle? This doesn't seem much different than buying a purpose built piece of equipment with an new board and chips and pre-loaded firmware/software. Unless you all are talking specifically about web-based SDRs, in which case yes that does remove some of the magic.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not shortwave QSL's, but I have a bunch of QSL's from the late 60's and early 70's that belonged to my dad who talked skip on CB.

View attachment 245973
Love these pieces of ephemera! I think the here are a couple books out there that picture collections of these cards.

Another similar practice was calling cards used by gangs or "clubs" in the 50s-80s.
IMG_7651.jpegIMG_7650.jpegIMG_7649.jpegIMG_7648.jpegIMG_7647.jpegIMG_7646.jpeg

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
Essentially a listener will mail (or email) a small report grading the signal strength, clarity, and frequency of a recieved program to the broadcaster. The broadcaster then sends a QSL card back to the listener, generally thanking them for their report.
I brought a Tecsun PL-600 for myself last Christmas, I also put up a wire antenna, but I haven't done much listening. I didn't know broadcasters would do this. Maybe this winter I'll have to do more listening and start with the QSL cards. I have a fairly good room air filter, so I can smoke in my study, thus the prospect of some late-night smoking an listening is quite appealing. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: scloyd

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Long distance listening, DX listening, is fun and how I got started in Ham radio.
One nit pick here is we transmit not broadcast. Broadcasting is for the licensed pros.
KC7HKU