PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Better to call them "stocky", right!?
Both these pipes are under 5 inches long, but the bowls are big. Up top is a Poul Winslow (Crown of Denmark, so the everyday line) with a tall bowl. And that's a Chacom Giant below with a large-mouth bass bowl interior diameter. Both are kind of inexpensive ($100 USD), but that's what I tend to buy. Both 9mm.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those kind of pipes are always visually appealing, and each one of those are outstanding! But, that size just doesn't work for me. That Chacom is really impressive, particularly under $100.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
My Wallenstein Bat is my short and fat pipe, it may not have the bowl capacity of yours but it's a flake smokers dream Nosewarmer!

banjo
e8715f4c56e52dd43293f9f26140681606edfbd.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The great advantage of the stubby is that it's a pocket pipe. Most fall into the 4.5 to 5 inch range which lets you tuck them into a shirt pocket with nothing sticking out. For me it's more about utility than aesthetics. In the field or on the water short, stout and rugged are a distinct advantage. Saddle bits are preferred as you often need your hands free for other tasks and they seem to clench better. All that said, they do need to maintain some semblance of proportion. I prefer them "compact" as vs. small, that is they are short rather than reduced in size all over. That's more easily achieved with certain shapes. In the last year or so I've noticed a lot more of this type of pipe being produced in the small shops of individual carvers. It now seems to be catching on with the factory produced pipes.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
My PipeDNA contains a need for the compact and durable pipe that can be not only carried in a pocket, but also can be quickly jammed into a pocket or pack when outdoor work calls. Big Ben even calls their ultimate nosewarmer "Ranger".
In theory, you can have a safe place for anything you take outside. In practice, and over a long haul/day, not so much. Short stubby pipes can't be snapped in half that easily or manage to fall out somewhere when you're busy with a chainsaw.
With that said, I like and have most other sizes and shapes of pipes in my small collection. I just have an eye for the pipe I might like to get lost with, trapped on rocky ledge with, not break when I have to jump out of a banding station to tackle an eagle that's trying to fly off with the lure bird and the entire trap rigging. Etc. Even when I'm engaged in none of the above.
Can I suggest that every piper has been at least imprinted in their formative days by the sight of some shape, size, finish... And to this day, that pipe type beckons more than most?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Snowy, you probably have to spend a lot of time outdoors to fully appreciate the stubby. All the reasons you give are right on target when you do. I have a passion for Rhodies and have a set of stubbies I use when fishing all the time.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I forgot to mention both are fine designed sitters: the Chacom Giant is smooth and flattened along the base of the bowl and shank, while the Poul Winslow is rusticated to a flat circular surface just at the bottom of the bowl! From the angle of my image you wouldn't guess it.
Thanks to the gents who added their images... there are some amazing pipes pictured throughout these pages.

kyrob

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2011
Man, I love those. I tend to buy similar sized and shape pipes for Perique forward blends. Chenet's Cake in a pipe like that makes my day. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.