PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I love a good Shiraz, and I would like some recommendations for a pipe tobacco to go with it, if there is one. I'm really enjoying trying different tobaccos...aromatics and otherwise. I'm not interested in an aromatic for this combo though. Thanks for your time and consideration.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Evening Smeaton,

I have never had Shiraz (the Australian wine), I have however; had some of the marvelous Port they export.

You should maybe try a good Virginia like Hal O' the Wynd.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do like shiraz/syrah with straight Virginias. I agree that ports, sherries, madieras, and all forms of fortified wines are a natural combo for the pipe. I will, on occasion mix a port and a red wine or sherry and white wine just enough to have a sweet fortified wine with a bit more of an acidic punch. I find that Virginia/perique blends go very well with dry sherry.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks. I'll give it a try. You should really give Shiraz a try as well, Lawrence!
I'll be disappointed if I can't find a pipe tobacco to go with my favorite wine, but I'll live.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm telling you, any straight Virginia is excellent with Shiraz. Also good with big chewy malbecs and big round jammy merlots. Try Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, Rattrays Marlin Flake or Hal O' The Wynd, Fribourg And Treyer Cut Virginia Plug or McClelland Dark Star.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I was typing/editing my post, and appropriately, drinking a some Shiraz, when you commented ohin3. Thanks. Looks like I have to place another tobacco order soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.