PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codokrat

Lurker
Sep 28, 2019
I'm in the process of building a office out of a 40' stainless steel insulated shipping container. Currently the interior is entirely steel with a mini-split AC to cool the container. Are there any tips and tricks to ventilate the container to smoke a pipe inside and protect the area from smelling like stale smoke?

I'm planning premium vinyl flooring and keeping the stainless steel walls so nothing there should absorb smoke, but there will cloth/leather chairs, a small kitchenette all in one room with a bathroom on the end.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The smoke particles aren't absorbed, they simply adhere. You can minimize but, over time, you can't stop it. You probably will never notice it. Your wife or other nonsmokers will of course. Of course they'll smell it on you first, hair, clothes, etc. It's just part and parcel of smoking, embrace it as your signature aroma. Revel in the rebellion!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you want to do it right, install 1 or 2 of the commercial grade smoke eaters on the ceiling that will vent out the majority of the smoke. I probably wouldn't because (1) the space sounds large enough that it shouldn't be too smoke filled unless you have a bunch of friends over; and (2) I like the smell of a room where pipes have been smoked.

Sounds like a very nice set up. Good luck with your effort.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Get a rabbit air. Cleaner/filter/smoke eater super thing. No penetrations necessary. I use one in my 800SF city condo. Pipes Magazine Radio Show host Brian Levine uses one in his home office. They work well, although - as has been suggested - nothing will make that room 100% unsmoked-in condition if you smoke in it.

Reactions: addamsruspipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there any way to introduce daylight inside, like windows, or is that even a good idea? The insulating properties are perhaps part of the benefits of the structure, but it might have a subterranean feel. Maybe scenic murals will help.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You really need to add ventilation. Fresh air coming in, bad air going out. That mini split is going to get really gummed up pretty quickly, and if it's anything like the units in my house, it isn't easy to clean. Oh, sure, you can rinse the filters, but a lot gets past the filters and sticks to the coils. So just put an exhaust fan in at one end of the Conex, and provide a return from outside on the other end. MSO's suggestion of adding a window is a good one.

And, by all means, let's see a photo! I've never seen a Conex like you describe. Where did you get it? How much $?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would suggest ventilating the place with a proper fan. If you want to hold the noise down maybe two of them at opposite end of the room.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
You reminded me of Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is home to a variety of nightlife, including pubs, bars, clubs and cafés, but one of the most famous is the brown café.

The brown café, the “bruine kroeg” in Dutch, is internationally renowned for its dark wood and smoke-stained walls.
These cosy watering-holes are an essential part of Amsterdam culture. For many people their local brown café becomes an extension of their living room.

Many of these establishments have been around for centuries, and earned their nickname because they feature wooden interiors surrounded by walls stained a yellowish-brown hue due to years of smoke.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I have a 20ft shipping container that I sometimes smoke in. Included within its confines is a comfortable old recliner that I couldn't quite bring myself to get rid of and a propane gas heater. I have never installed any form of ventilation because I want the container to remain airtight. So, I simply leave the door ajar about a foot or so when I smoke. As of yet, I have not noticed any ill effects caused from smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.