PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
O'Day's Best Flake...but it might not be the best one yet so that might not be right :puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I just watched baron's youtube video on the matter. Or at least I think it is your blend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV56T7RmkQc&feature=g-u-u

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Wow Shawn you have been busy since I started my academy. Lookin good man!

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
That is really cool. The drive and desire to figure it out on your own and succeed is a true accomplishment. It is one thing to take a recipe and make a cake with the knowledge of what ingredients to add and how much, but it is another to create it on your own. A well deserved congrats to you Shawn.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thanks again for all the support guys!!! I really like the Englander Flake name. A LOT. lol Hope everything is going well at the academy Grizz!!! I just finished a Burly plug that is heavily flavored with Pralines and Creme. I am smoking the scraps that didn't make it into the press now and it i really nice. I don't even really like aromatics either. In the next day or so I will have a sample or two to give away. One goes to Lawrence since I stiffed him on a sample of a non pressed Vaper. It just didn't turn out as good as I thought so I added it to my navy flake. Thanks again for all the support.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I for one cant wait for you to make this more available... I would love to pick some up... If Im going to give someone money for baccy, I might as well give it to a member of this great community.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoked another sample of Shawns today and it was the Best Brown with the cavendish. It was similar to the BB without the cav. I think age will really help this one a lot. It was sweet and tasty, but it got a little bitey for me. It could have been that I did not dry it enough. I will give it another go with more dry time and in a different pipe. I smoked it in a GBD billiard, I am going to try it in a Rad Davis dublin tomorrow and I will report back.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Go for the stoved versions. I'm only stoving my plugs from now on. It takes the bite out and help in the marrying process. I have a long way to go till I'm ready for retail. I made an adjustment today that I thought was for the better. Turns out I over did it. something good comes from mistakes, I learn what not to do. I broke my press to, but I think I am having a real one built. This will be huge. But yea Cigrmaster, If it isn't stoved, Probably be better to just pitch it. It would not offend me at all. That is what testing is all about. I bought the tobacco knowing there was a chance that it would not turn out great, but I am learning every day. Thanks for testing.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
This is exciting stuff Shawn. Would you ever consider doing some vids of your process? Also, an Irish themed blend is mandatory, ya? Maybe "The Hills of Home Irish Flake"?

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Hey Shawn, I've been absent for a while but have just been browsing the forums and came across this thread. That's awesome that you're doing this, and if you feel like selling some, I'll buy a few ounces or so.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Gage brother, I talk to one really famous blender on a regular basis and he will not give me any instruction other than the basic sugar/liquid/leaf ratio. I am keeping my methods personal like my blender friend. If I show the world how I do things, then the world can do what I do. I hope I'm not coming off as an ass, I just want to maybe be a sort of micro brewery of tobacco. I was wondering what happened to you GuitarGuy. I hope things are getting better for you.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Now this is just a suggestion, but I’m thinking your brand name should be either “Two Brothers” or “Father & Sons” and Shawn based on what I know about you I think “Survivor Flake” would be a good name for your first blend. Well done!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Jc my friend. You supplied most of my research material. I thoroughly enjoyed the research, and still am. I like "Survivor Flake", I actually like them all!!! I made something similar to Orlik Golden Sliced. I just sampled it today and it is pretty dag on good. It needs age though. That's the thing about these Virginias, They have to age before they are really good. Most blending houses that work from leaf and not blending tobaccos age the Virginias for 6 months after cased. Oh GuitarGuy, I would love to sell some, but I need to have a processing permit first. It's ok, by the time I get my permit, I will have aged stock.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Congratulations shawn, it looks like you've done some great work. Keep at it!
A lot of guys think and talk about making their own pipe tobacco, but you walk the walk. Best of luck with your new press and any other equipment that you accumulate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am currently smoking the Best Brown that was stoved and I am enjoying it very much. It is smooth and sweet and very tasty. I se what you mean Shawn about the stoved being smoother, you are right. This is a winner for sure with some more age. It is amazing what you have been able to do in such a short period of time. Keep up the good work.
As a follow up, I did smoke the Best Brown with cavendish yesterday and let it dry some more. It did take the bite out of it and with more age that one should be pretty good as well. I do like this one better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.