PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
If im smoking my pipe and a close friend or family member wants to try it ill just pass it to them, i guess im use to it from smoking a hookah lol i just wipe the stem and pass a pipe cleaner through it and keep smoking. if its some guy i just met then now not a chance.

Jul 11, 2013
I wonder how many people that are OK with others smoking their pipes have smoked a hookah before. I own a couple hookahs and it's a little hard to have a hang up about "your hose" with one of those unless you have a multi-hose and make everyone bring their own hose. :lol:

hambone

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
The bad man want women like cigarettes…. slender, trim, to be selected without much thought, set aflame and when the flame has subsided, discarded.
The fastidious man wants his women to be like cigars…. more expensive, better appearance and which smolder quietly.
The good man wants his women to be like a pipe …. something gets attached to, knocks gently but lovingly, fondles in a dreamy way and gives the greatest care and attention.
A man will give you his cigarettes, offer you a cigar, but never shares his pipe!
NO, never share your pipe!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When some of my poker friends took interest in my pipes I let a couple of them smoke some of my estate pipes that I didn't smoke very often and ones that were recently cleaned. After their smoke I gave them an alcohol cleaning. Since a few of them took an interest I bought a grab bag of MM cob seconds and assigned each of my poker buddies a pipe. I've got 8 cobs all labeled so that each poker friend has their own pipe if they chose to smoke one. It saves me from having to clean a lot of pipes.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Funny how opinions vary - and how strong some are!
I gladly share a set of new and no-longer-smoked pipes w/anyone who's inclined to fill up and smoke a bowl w/me. I've given a few away to guys who take to the pipe and keep it up.
As for sharing, I admit I'd likely never smoke another dude's pipe, but I don't mind sharing one of mine. Here's why: A pipe is easy to tidy up after smoking, and though I might not "sanitize" my own pipe after every smoke, it's hardly a pain to give a pipe a quick but careful cleaning after I lend it to somebody else. I'd never lend a less-than-thoroughly cleaned pipe to another guy, and I'd never smoke a loaner pipe w/o cleaning it up myself.
Normally, I'm a clean freak and sort of a germophobe, but gee whiz - we all eat off of dishes that everybody shares, and we eat with flatware that other people have put in their mouths! With routine in-between washings, we don't give that a thought, do we? Not sure I see how sharing a thoroughly sanitized pipe is any different! ;)

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I was smoking outside a bar a couple of weeks ago, and a person who can only be described in the harshest term as a Plebeian came up to me and said "Give me a puff of your pipe", and my response was "Let me ride your girlfriend". Which was extremely derogatory and something I was ashamed of saying after despite it being in furious jest, though it does highlight how important my pipes are to me. :puffy:
Edit: Oh and I was not beaten up, fortunately he found it funny. I'm 6ft 3 and avoid physical confrontation at all costs, I heckle from a distance hidden behind people.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
A combination of (fairly) young and British means I'm a bit of an anomaly, smoking a pipe. So, I get plenty of people asking to try. To be honest, as long as I know/trust the person, I don't usually mind letting someone else have a quick puff - curiosity, more than anything else.
Sharing a pipe properly - not just the odd puff - then no, I think I'd find that very odd...

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I have an entire "fleet" of Falcon's... Several of which are auction finds, garage sales, etc. that are pretty good overall, but, cost less than a few bucks. I have those segregated in my pipe stands and I share those with a friend wanting to have a bowl with me, etc. Easy to clean up afterwards.
Now, the Falcons in my rotation? No way, those are mine! And wouldn't even think of sharing my Comoys, Petersons, Vikings, let alone any of my artisan pipes.
Getting a couple MMs just for sharing/seeding isn't a bad idea!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"...a person who can only be described in the harshest term as a Plebeian..."
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My wife and I share the same pipe back and forth when we're out at a bar...The other night, I had a guy buy one of my dublins that I had just smoked...and I had an unsmoked pipe just like it in my bag- but he wanted the one I had broken in...go figure! When we go out to bars when we're smoking, I normally have two new pipes to sell and a couple of cobs to give friends who show up....I usually give away 5 or 6 cobs a month...

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
@Bigvan I meant it in the sense of someone who came off the streets looking rather scruffy. I know full well that in its original context it can be considered to be a compliment,though I did not mean it in that sense. Rather in the context of "Common Pleb". I somewhat question how you could come to the conclusion that I had perhaps used it incorrectly, unless you yourself are getting the Classical definition (One which I use) mixed up with the American one; which I believe is related to military cadets.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I will let some of my better friends have a sip if there's something they want to try, or I want them to try. But that's about as far as I will go.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Incidentally, I got into the hobby because a cousin of mine shared his pipe with me. A Dr. Grabow and some Captain Black, that was 8 or 9 years ago, and although I wasn't hooked right away, it was my first pipe experience and what ultimately got me into them.

ascarypotato

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I share my pipe with my wife all the time, and like Joeval, (young(ish) and British) people do ask surprisingly frequently. Friends? No worries. If nothing else, I can drink half their beer when they're coughing, after I 'forgot' to tell them not to inhale. Family? My kids are the only members of my family who even know I indulge - I'm enough of a black sheep as it is... Random strangers? Nope. And I can't get cheap bags of 'smokable seconds' over here...
**wonders whether pipeherman ever met Andrew Mitchell?**

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Andrew Mitchell has been cleared of the 'plebgate' scandal. Those words never came out of his mouth :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.