PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

My 98-year old Dad died last year, and I gathered all his pipes and things, because the smell and image of his pipe smoking is among some of my strongest memories of him. I wanted to be sure that this is a good place to post some photos of some of his pipes and things, and possibly to get some info on the less common ones (I think a couple are German wine pipes).

Last edited by a moderator:

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Tut, just be aware that you may get messages from people asking to buy certain pipes. Make sure you have researched the pipes and the prices they are selling for if you decide to sell. Do not ever feel pressured to sell your father's pipes. Cheers.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Here are the pipes and some accessories. I can provide closeups of anything if someone wants to see more detail. First the wine pipes.

The longer one was made in Czechoslovakia and has the German "Grüss Gott" emblem.

The shorter one has no markings that I can find, and features a scene of a fox making off with a duck.

IMG_5207.jpeg
IMG_5208.jpeg
IMG_5209.jpeg
IMG_5211.jpeg
IMG_5210.jpeg

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Here's a "Sherlock Holmes" pipe that some owner (pretty sure it wasn't originally my Dad's) had to fix with wire to clamp the ferrule tight. The insignia looks odd, almost like the lower letters (vertical "BG") are reversed. The upper letters look like "H•P&S". I have no idea what the center mark is. UI? CH? Upside down?

IMG_5212.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg
IMG_5214.jpeg

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Now some Grabow and Medico pipes he probably bought over the years at drug stores or possibly the Comer's shop that used to be in Iowa City.

IMG_5215.jpeg

These are interesting; something, Grabow, and Wally Frank:

IMG_5216.jpeg

More Medicos and some very cool ones:

IMG_5217.jpeg

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Now we get to my favorites. The sterling one was one of his favorites too, as he used it for many years. I gave him The Pipe for xmas one year, being impressed that it was made of the same stuff used in rockets. I'm not sure about the white one.

IMG_5218.jpeg
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg

Reactions: a3zname and Bowie

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
That's a pretty impressive collection. I'll let others handle ID and value, but I will say most of the smokers of that generation I knew rarely had more than a couple of pipes at a time. Your father was a connoisseur!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Finally, just the tobacco, cleaners, tools, a lighter, and leftover pieces.

IMG_5221.jpeg

Note circular item in upper-left corner of the box. A wind guard with spring-loaded prongs. I don't remember what the cork item is for.

IMG_5222.jpeg

Reactions: Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tut, that's an admirable pipe man's legacy. I'd hang on to all of it as heirlooms. I don't think anything from selling the pipes would be as rewarding as having them on hand. It's an interesting and varied group. The German and Czech pipes would be handsome on the wall, the that's a fine set of Dr. Grabow and Medico that are great smokers. My dad owned and smoked one pipe at a time, burnt them out, and bought a new one, always smoking Granger. He did leave me his ten-pipe round rack with amber tobacco jar in the middle he'd inherited from his dad, so that is a prized possession.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Cool collection. The cork goes in an ashtray, its to knock your pipe against to ash so as to not ding the pipe rim on something hard.

The grabows and medicos are cheap but reliable burners. No idea about the more elaborate ones, they are quite obscure. Very neat though!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
That "Sherlock Holmes" pipe appears to be a gourd calabash. Are there any other marks in the metal? The hallmarks may be small but if it is silver it may well have them. These can provide a year of manufacture. That pipe could be rather old.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
Cool collection. The cork goes in an ashtray, its to knock your pipe against to ash so as to not ding the pipe rim on something hard.

Ah, right! I knew I'd seen one elsewhere before. He had a brown glass ashtray that had one of those fixed in the center. This must be an extra he had when the other one got too grungy.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
That "Sherlock Holmes" pipe appears to be a gourd calabash. Are there any other marks in the metal? The hallmarks may be small but if it is silver it may well have them. These can provide a year of manufacture. That pipe could be rather old.
I've look closely everywhere on it, and those are the only markings I can find. All the metal pieces appear to be brass. The brass flange around the rim of the bowl has many dents from being knocked against a hard heel.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
So about the wine pipes, which are the only ones I'd want to sell; is there a market for those? Are they desired by some? I see only a handful on eBay in the $30-80 range.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So about the wine pipes, which are the only ones I'd want to sell; is there a market for those? Are they desired by some? I see only a handful on eBay in the $30-80 range.
They are pretty much wall art, not many people smoke them these days, but some might. Tyroleans are a bit of a thing of the past but I’m sure some people still fire them up. Ebay would be your best bet for a quick sale. No idea on value.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ah, right! I knew I'd seen one elsewhere before. He had a brown glass ashtray that had one of those fixed in the center. This must be an extra he had when the other one got too grungy.
Most pipe smokers will have a couple kicking around in case they need them or get a new ashtray. They’re cheap, but useful for some, although I never use mine, the pick on the czech tool takes care of it.

Given your dads cheaper pipes and over the counter tobacco preferences im sure he used the hell out of them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Now some Grabow and Medico pipes he probably bought over the years at drug stores or possibly the Comer's shop that used to be in Iowa City.

View attachment 20995

These are interesting; something, Grabow, and Wally Frank:

View attachment 20996

More Medicos and some very cool ones:

View attachment 20997
The “something” is probably a kaywoodie, older one too with a patent number. That script writing says “Ajustomatic” which was a Kaywoodie stem mount system that allowed the stem to be turned into the correct position after being tightened in the event that the screw in stem mount became slightly off kilter which was not uncommon. Very similar to grabows, cheap but reliable pipes. Used to be very prominent in the US and are still made today.

Status
Not open for further replies.