PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
"Everyone's Irish on St. Paddy's Day." ~Murphy MacManus
Welcome to my annual official unofficial & completely unauthorized St. Patrick's Day thread.

Please post pics as you celebrate or participate in the shenanigans which surround the annual holiday which celebrates Irish-American culture as well as St. Patrick, the Patron Saint of Ireland. Foods, parades, pub crawls, and especially... good Irish pipes! Sláinte!

1710164008976.png

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Someone needs to take one for the team and try the St. PatCaken.

Whisky pecan pie, Bailey's cheesecake, and Guinness green velvet cake, layered together with salted carmel frosting.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Someone needs to take one for the team and try the St. PatCaken.

Whisky pecan pie, Bailey's cheesecake, and Guinness green velvet cake, layered together with salted carmel frosting.

That looks horrid. It makes my belly hurt just looking at it.

38 years ago, when visiting Ireland, I remember that they were adamant that kilts had NOTHING to do with the Irish, and everyone made fun of the sissy Scottish and there stupid kilts and bagpipes, ha ha ha. On historical tours they were always clear that the Irish would never lower themselves to wearing a bedamned kilt.

I am not sure if it is just the ignorance of Americans or if there is some serious cross dressing desires going on. But, even suggesting the Irish ever had kilts in their history would have meant that 12 blokes would drag you out and pummel you. Now its all Irish kilts and look even the bedamnable bagpipes? WTF. EVERYONE HATEs bagpipes except the braindead Scotts. (then you're supposed to spit on the floor to show disgust). The Irish like those small flutes and bad drumming, and you're to dress like the impoverished that you are, and be proud of it.

Bagpipes just make the parts in my eardrum buzz. I actually hate them with a passion. But, if guys want to wear kilts, then I'm not going to begrudge the whole pronoun group of folks. It's not my business who or how you love. puffy

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Uilleann pipes (aka Irish Bagpipes) are quite a bit different from the Scottish style, which I think makes them tuff to play while marching.
1710178547278.png

As for the kilts... I remember that being said too. My Irish grandfather once said to me, "No self respecting Irishman would ever be caught dead in one of those sissy ass kilts." 🤣

I think today it's more about "Celtic" more than simply Irish, which is fine with me. My grandfather would probably be rolling around in his grave if he knew this, but I've been known to don a kilt on occasion.

That looks horrid. It makes my belly hurt just looking at it.
I thought the same thing about that cake when I saw it.

Uilleann pipes (aka Irish Bagpipes) are quite a bit different from the Scottish style, which I think makes them tuff to play while marching.
View attachment 295048

As for the kilts... I remember that being said too. My Irish grandfather once said to me, "No self respecting Irishman would ever be caught dead in one of those sissy ass kilts." 🤣

I think today it's more about "Celtic" more than simply Irish, which is fine with me. My grandfather would probably be rolling around in his grave if he knew this, but I've been known to don a kilt on occasion.

I thought the same thing about that cake when I saw it.
I'm glad my post was taken with the grain of sand it was given.

I have a very old friend that I've known since elementary school, and he plays the bagpipes. For some strange reason the city allowed him to set up in the town gazebo and play his bagpipes to the line of cars in the 5oclock traffic` returning home from work. This was how I came to know that he was living in my current city. I was trying to figure out who was making that awful racket as cars driving by were all throwing empty bottles and cursing at him.

It's really hard to appreciate the instrument. Maybe even impossible. puffy

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
38 years ago, when visiting Ireland, I remember that they were adamant that kilts had NOTHING to do with the Irish, and everyone made fun of the sissy Scottish and there stupid kilts and bagpipes, ha ha ha. On historical tours they were always clear that the Irish would never lower themselves to wearing a bedamned kilt.

I am not sure if it is just the ignorance of Americans or if there is some serious cross dressing desires going on. But, even suggesting the Irish ever had kilts in their history would have meant that 12 blokes would drag you out and pummel you. Now its all Irish kilts and look even the bedamnable bagpipes? WTF. EVERYONE HATEs bagpipes except the braindead Scotts. (then you're supposed to spit on the floor to show disgust). The Irish like those small flutes and bad drumming, and you're to dress like the impoverished that you are, and be proud of it.

Bagpipes just make the parts in my eardrum buzz. I actually hate them with a passion. But, if guys want to wear kilts, then I'm not going to begrudge the whole pronoun group of folks. It's not my business who or how you love. puffy
Absolutely correct. I have been to Ireland literally 100s of times and never once saw a bagpipe. My mum's brothers, who are from Ireland, play trad music, and the idea of bagpipes is anathema to them, they hate them with a vehmence. I could never understand how these came to be associated with Ireland, and even worse, kilts.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Absolutely correct. I have been to Ireland literally 100s of times and never once saw a bagpipe. My mum's brothers, who are from Ireland, play trad music, and the idea of bagpipes is anathema to them, they hate them with a vehmence. I could never understand how these came to be associated with Ireland, and even worse, kilts.
I can only guess that the association of bagpipes or kilts with Ireland may be due to the influence of Ulster Scots-the formerly Scottish folks that immigrated to what is now Northern Ireland some 350 years ago. The origin if St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the US came at the hands of several Ulster-Scot immigrants to the US in the 1700's.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I can only guess that the association of bagpipes or kilts with Ireland may be due to the influence of Ulster Scots-the formerly Scottish folks that immigrated to what is now Northern Ireland some 350 years ago. The origin if St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the US came at the hands of several Ulster-Scot immigrants to the US in the 1700's.
Yes that makes perfect sense. I know that some Protestants in the north of Ireland celebrate St Patrick's day as they see Patrick as a proto-Protestant, given his distance from Roman and Papal authority. This is obviously exactly where the bagpipes and Scottish connection comes from.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
For the three years that I lived in South Carolina I would attend their Saint Patrick's Day Festival, at Five Points in Columbia, and run the 5k in the morning with green beer and snacks waiting at the finish line. I picked up a few tee-shirts during my time there, most are packed away somewhere. I also bought my Peterson Saint Patrick's Day 2006 #106 smooth while there, don't ask me where🥃🍀 I just dug it up for this pic, and when I opened the box...the stem was brown (just surface oxidation, it rubbed off with a cloth and then I treated it to some obsidian oil and wax). Any who, here's some pics. Sláinte! KIMG3089.JPGKIMG3086.JPGKIMG3082.JPGKIMG3079.JPGKIMG3087.JPGKIMG3088.JPGKIMG3090.JPGKIMG3091.JPG

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
St Patrick’s Day has become more of a somber day for me. Now for me it’s a day to remember those lost on Bloody Sunday and throughout The Troubles, to remember what the Irish endured during the famine, and the struggles the Irish had to gain independence.

It’s very inspiring to know what the Irish people have been through and still have so much pride in their culture.