PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
There are many crown jewels in the G. L. Pease treasury, and this is certainly one of them. I wish it came with a fun story, such as "I was working on a new English blend, and I dropped some rum flavoring on top -- decided to smoke it and it worked". This is, however, likely the output of a very careful design.
The fire-cured Kentucky and the Virginia form a great, strong basis for this blend. I find a playful peppery flavor that stimulates the palate in a delightful way, likely because of the Orientals used. The Latakia is "classic" Pease: strong and forward. And then there's the casing. I don't know where it lodged firmly -- probably the Kentucky -- but that plus the sugary Virginia is quite the treat.
The broken flake presentation is quite convenient. I decided to fold it and pack it in a poker, which turned out to be magical. Copious smoke production, an even burn, and a very fine white ash attest to the quality of this tobacco.
Fans of Black Frigate will find this blend to be stronger flavored than their everyday choice, with perhaps the most noticeable changes coming from the Latakia and the heavier nicotine content.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually found them to be very similar.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-frigate-and-sextant-separated-at-birth

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Definite Sextant fan here. I'm not sure if I love it more than Gaslight, Quiet Nights or even Lagonda. But then I pretty much love Pease blends as a whole. Trying to choose among them would be like mulling whether I could do without coffee, chocolate, steak, trout, snow peas, .....
I think that the alcohol from rum, Cognac, whisky and whiskey might release certain flavor molecules from the leaf and make them more available to our senses. Also, there might also be pairings or bindings of the alcohol and perhaps random esters, aldehydes and ketones with some of those compounds.
hp

les

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I pretty much love Pease blends as a whole. Trying to choose among them would be like mulling whether I could do without coffee, chocolate, steak, trout, snow peas,

Agreed!
I'm a big fan of Sextant myself, and it was one I first picked up on a whim.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I remember years ago when Greg shared some pre-production samples with us at a meeting of the Golden Gate Pipe Club.
That evening was pure magic.
Sadly, Sextant will vanish under the new FDA rules, and I have recently added several tins to my hoard.
Brilliant stuff.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo stb - re your "I remember years ago when Greg shared some pre-production samples with us at a meeting of the Golden Gate Pipe Club." - and I was there too with you. I've nabbed a goodly number of Sextant tins, especially the 8 oz size.
I'll be up in Boston next month, sadly after the Sherlock Holmes PC monthly meeting. Presently enjoying the fine weather here in the Bay Area and rueful that I couldn't sync my visit with the Golden Gate PC meeting. Ah well - 1st World and Champagne problems ( though the NV Premier Cru Brut J. Lassalle we're currently imbibing is most enjoyable - the nearby Whole Foods had a nice display which sucked me right in).
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.