PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
How about a pipe representing the "Seven" in the Game of Thrones religion:
The Father: represents divine justice, and judges the souls of the dead.

The Mother: represents mercy, peace, fertility, and childbirth. She is sometimes referred to as "the strength of women".

The Maiden: represents purity, innocence, love, and beauty.

The Crone: represents wisdom and foresight. She is represented carrying a lantern.

The Warrior: represents strength and courage in battle.

The Smith: represents creation and craftsmanship.

The Stranger: The Stranger represents death and the unknown. It is rarely prayed to.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If only you were a Dwarven King...
Sorry, couldnt resist the Tolkien reference. :D
7 different accent rings could be another way to define your set though.
Just sayin'

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I tend to approach these things from a less practical and more sentimental approach. I like themes which carry personal meaning. I went to school at Montana State and my heart will always be forever tied to Bozeman. I've been working on a Montana themed pipe with a carver who I felt was perfect for such a thing. Nate King is working on a pipe to mirror/compliment my very expensive astrophotography mount. I also imagine a set of pipes inspired by favorite book from childhood. I like these sorts of inspirations which you must seek yourself and that carry personal meaning.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I also imagine a set of pipes inspired by favorite book from childhood.
I read some pretty good books as a kid. The language came readily to me and I always read above grade level.

So, I'm thinking about a book from back when I might see as a theme concept for a pipe.

The Night Before Christmas was a book wasn't it. I guess I had that one read to me.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;

Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer pipes are already being made.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
There are seven virtues as well.
Chastity - Straight Apple

Temperance - Prince

Charity - Billiard

Diligence - Bulldog

Patience - Poker

Kindness - Dublin

Humility - Churchwarden

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...the sinners are much more fun."

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
"You got your passion, you got your pride. But don't you know that only fools are satisfied?"

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
The carver is the same shit disturber who sent me the pics above to get a rise out of me. I believe you can read part of his business card inserted in one of the books.
I am still working on this one.....
The carver's name is MIO.......wasn't that the sword lady from Frank Miller's Sin City?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Michael is Canadian? You are Canadian? Perhaps there is a Canadian theme you could incorporate.
Or Dopey, Grumpy, Doc, Sneezey, etc. :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, since you smoke mainly flakes, you should think about what shapes and sizes are your favorites for flakes. If it were my 7 day set I would pick a Dublin, Billiard, Rhodesian, Apple, Zulu, Brandy, Calabash for the shapes. I would have them all a large sized group 4, all with a great blast and all of them in black with some type of stem aplication that is lighter in color( spalted tamarind or the like) to bring out the black. I would also have all the stems done in Cumberland as that is my favorite. Now if you have enough black pipes and are looking for a different color, I would go for something like this.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Instead of 7, how about 12? The 12 days of Christmas cased set? I think that could be the crown jewel of a pipe collection.
If the carver you speak of happens to be Parks, I would give him free reign over the whole project. That man is a true artist.

7 shapes which you like the most. or 7 shapes you always wanted to own. I will stick to one kind of finish, that is, smooth, rusticated, sandblast etc.
This is my idea of a 7 day set from the Pipe Makers, Getz Pipes.
MunVw9a.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am slowly working on a 7 day set of Chris Askwith pencil shanked pipes. I currently have a saucer and a blowfish. When it is done I hop to have 2 morta, 2 strawberry wood and 3 briar. So shank style and material could be ways of doing it. Some great ideas so far though, perhaps I did not put enough thought into my own set work. :wink: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.