PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’m curious about Ser Jacopo Delecta pipes. Is it mostly an aesthetic feature or does the mount have other benefits ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m eying one and wondering whether the extra cost is worth it.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I believe it's completely an aesthetic feature. It's not an actual "military" mount, which would be kind of handy for quick removal of the stem while the pipe is being smoked. I've got a couple of relatively plain SJs--great smoking pipes. Whether the ornamentation is worth it is up to you, of course. Silver, as you know, looks stunning. When polished.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
No its not military. Its just the look. The insert is drilled in the pipe in what looks like 9mm. Probably so they can make a filtered and non filtered version. The insert is larger than normal too but the draw is standard on non filter ones.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Delecta is just a stylistic option. I believe it refers primarily to the shape of an accent on the end of the shank. Not all delecta pipes have silver. If you’re leaning towards a Ser Jacopo pipe and have never smoked one I think you’ll be pleased. Most of my SJs have a pretty open draw so you’ll want to know that if you have a preference.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Delecta is just a stylistic option. I believe it refers primarily to the shape of an accent on the end of the shank. Not all delecta pipes have silver. If you’re leaning towards a Ser Jacopo pipe and have never smoked one I think you’ll be pleased. Most of my SJs have a pretty open draw so you’ll want to know that if you have a preference.
I have several SJ. Their engineering is amazing and their artistry is stunning. Beautiful shapes, rustication, drilling ! Some of best quality control on any pipe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
At one point Giancarlo studied in Lovorno, Italy where the Barontini factory and store is located (he said so in an interview). I couldn't afford a Ser Jacopo but found a remarkably similar vintage unsmoked Barontini...perhaps a protot-type ??? The spigot is a sterling silver 1/2 spigot. The acrylic stem goes into wood not silver into silver. The sterling silver are ring and band that meet hence 1/2 spigot. (9mm)

1710704685283.jpeg

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Very helpful ! Thanks ! So does the silver on the stem make contact with another silver sleeve on the shank ?? Is that what keeps it secure ??
So it’s all just about the aesthetics of the silver and the small band on the shank ??

Reactions: Simplicity

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I believe a full spigot is when the band or crown folds fairly deeply into the shank and the stem is banded silver so the stem silver goes into shank against silver lining of crown or band. I do not have one but that's what the pictures seem to indicate. I'm sure someone with more expertise can confirm or correct this.

Here's a better description than I can do:

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123