PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
I wanted to share recent research and findings in regards to Ser Jacopo pipes that folks may find interesting. Some, or all, of this information may have already been known, but wanted to put up a couple posts on the topic.

I have broken this into two different posts. This, the first post, will provide a summary for those that may be searching for information. I want to keep relevant information at the beginning for those not interested in the rest. The second post contains the correspondence. There is a backstory on what drove this research, but I will leave that out for now.

Summary Notes*:

- La Fuma pipes are Ser Jacopo 'seconds'. This is well known conjecture, from what I could find. Note that the agent used a different term, which I changed to 'seconds' here.
- La Fuma pipes, since they are 'seconds' will not be stamped with the phrase: "PER ASPERA AD ASTRA".
- La Fuma pipes did not exist until at least 10 years after the company started in 1982.
- The red dot on La Fuma pipes is not coral, it is red plexiglass.
- Some new production La Fuma pipes are still produced with this red plexiglass: LePipe.it | Pipes Ser Jacopo | | | Bent Apple - https://www.lepipe.it/en/scheda.asp?id=3369

- Ser Jacopo pipes with a silver ring around the coral dot are some of the earliest pipes. This silver ring around the coral was discontinued shortly after implementation (see Post 2 correspondence for more info).
- Real coral was used as it has a grain and each is distinct. However, sea coral was later made a protected item in the EU and red plexiglass was used until the Sterling 'J' was instituted (not sure on exact date coral was outlawed).
- Real leather bags were used for early production pipes, but was later discontinued for costs (not sure of exact date).

*Ebay member eandtee, Ser Jacopo pipes, was the Ser Jacopo agent/distributor for the US from 1982~2015. He owns/pays for the SerJacopo.com (Marble Arch) website, but no longer updates it. He is the source for this information listed here.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Correspondence On La Fuma pipes:

This was my initial contact and questions:

I am curious if it is known when the Ser Jacopo La Fuma line first started? I reached out to the folks at SerJacopo.it and they said it was possible, but did not specifically reference the La Fuma line. I went to SerJacopo.com, which shows Marble Arch LTD as the US distributor, but not sure if that email is still active in their Contact Us section. I seen in one of your listings that you were the importer and distributor of Ser Jacopo Pipes since their founding in 1982. I was hoping you might be able to clarify on when the La Fuma line began. The pipe I have is in a La Fuma box, not a Ser Jacopo box, with a La Fuma cloth bag and has the red coral dot on the stem.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your e-mail. There's a fair amount to unpack there and I'll do my best.

The Ser Jacopo website you visited is mine. I set it up and maintained it while I was the Ser Jacopo agent (1982~2015) for the USA.

Firstly, Ser Jacopo was founded by Giancarlo Guidi and Bruto Sordini (now Don Carlos pipes) in 1982. This is when I became their agent. I had known Giancarlo when he was part owner of Mastro de Paja which he left to start Ser Jacopo.

The La Fuma line (Ser Jacopo ‘seconds’) did not exist until at least 10 years after the company started. Therefore, it's not possible your La Fuma was purchased in Italy (or anywhere) in 1983. The current owners of Ser Jacopo (all people I consider friends) were not involved with Ser Jacopo until many years after 1982. If the La Fuma line existed when they came into the company then they wouldn't know when it was introduced.

As for La Fuma pipes, note that I used the term "seconds" previously. This is because they do not reach the quality level of Ser Jacopo. However this certainly doesn't mean they are bad pipes. To the contrary, I would take a Ser Jacopo reject over most other pipes being produced then or now. Many of the La Fuma pipes had putty fills which was the main reason they were disqualified from being Ser Jacopo. They are however made by Ser Jacopo's craftsmen which is why they are so attractive, etc. Another point is that the red dot on the La Fuma stem is red plexiglass. Look at it closely and you'll see it's one uniform color throughout. The coral dots have a grain and are usually somewhat variegated in appearance. Giancarlo did not put coral dots in anything but Ser Jacopo pipes.

I am no longer associated with Ser Jacopo. I pay for, but do not update the Ser Jacopo site and hope it's helpful to interested smokers like yourself. On eBay I'm slowly selling my inventory of Ser Jacopo and Geppetto pipes from my 35+ years as the distributor.

Thanks for taking the time to write,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correspondence on Slogans and Silver Ring/Coral Dot:

Thank you very much for the detailed information you provided! I did take a look at the red dot on the stem and it is exactly as you described, solid color throughout. Another item I noticed is that the phrase "PER ASPERA AD ASTRA" does not seem to be on any La Fuma pipes. Also, it looks like they are still producing some La Fuma pipes with a red dot, as I found this new pipe on another website: LePipe.it | Pipes Ser Jacopo | | | Bent Apple - https://www.lepipe.it/en/scheda.asp?id=3369.

One other question (non-La Fuma pipes) I have is in regard to the silver band found around the coral dot. I see some pipes that have it and others that do not. Would you have any insight as to the significance (if there is any) of this silver band around the dot?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond and providing such great context.
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your note, and thanks as well for reminding me the slogan, "Per aspera ad astra" which Ser Jacopo uses (as well as NASA originally and Pall Mall cigarettes) is only used on their Ser Jacopo line.

Your question about the stem logo with a silver ring around red dot goes back to the very beginning of Ser Jacopo. That was their first logo and was what I saw on my first visit to their workshop in 1982. Giancarlo had originally envisioned making only Gem series grade pipes which is why the company's full name is Ser Jacopo dalla Gemme (of the gems). Each of the Gem series pipes has a gemstone in a gold setting on the stem which signifies its grade. In a short period of time Giancarlo changed to the full line of finishes and grading which we've known over the years and when he did he used the red dot surrounded by a silver ring as the logo for the non-Gem series pipes. In short order he received a "cease and desist" letter from an attorney representing Armellini pipes (I happened to be there the day the letter arrived) who had been using a similar logo but in a larger diameter. This led Giancarlo to quickly change to the coral dot which was a brilliant choice as each dot, even if they look similar are subtlety different and unique. This remained their logo until an environmental ruling by the European Union made sea coral a protected item and it was no longer available. At that point, Giancarlo started using a red Plexiglas dot until the technology to make the Sterling "J" became available, and that's what has been used ever since.

I hope all this information is helpful. I enjoy taking a stroll down memory lane every once and a while and it's nice to know that other folks are interested.

Thanks again and be well,

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
La fuma models sometimes also do not meet the original design specifications intended by the sj line. For example I have a la fuma fedora. It is about one cm less high than the sj fedora. The vendor also had another that was a cm less high than mine. Thats a full 2cm off the head height. Of course this results in a significantly smaller chamber. Most do have fills.

All my la fuma smoke as well as my SJ pipes. Most Ive bought for well under 200. Usually less than half the firsts. If I were strictly a collector it would be one thing but I just enjoy them and the are great pipes.