PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
The bouchon idea has been around for years. This is just semois formed into an easily packable plug.
Kind of a novelty thing ?...

I suppose if you like semois for a once in a blue moon smoke, may save buying a brick and worrying about long term storage..

I don't know, doesn't seem economical to me but perhaps could be a good way to sample semois before buying a whole brick. On a sidenote, I really have to remember to buy some to try myself 😅🙄

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kind of a novelty thing ?...

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
I smoked those bouchon's years ago. If you like semois you should try them, for a change, even if they are quite expensive compared to the regular tobacco. The only thing, I remember that at the end of the smoke there was a lot of condensation inside the bowl.

If you order them, add a pack of Le Petit Robin, it's excellent

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Jumped onto smokingpipes and saw this was sold out. Now I'm intrigued.
Did anyone happen to order these? How are they?

Les Bouchons - Tabac de la Semois Pipe Tobacco | Smokingpipe (smokingpipes.com)
I was likewise intrigued by their Le Petite Robin blend and I just ordered some earlier this week, but I have no experience with it yet. It is very well regarded at TobaccoReviews. Le Petite Robin is a shag tobacco cut so finely that it has been compared to kiseru Japanese tobacco. Good luck with Les Bouchons.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I was likewise intrigued by their Le Petite Robin blend and I just ordered some earlier this week, but I have no experience with it yet. It is very well regarded at TobaccoReviews. Le Petite Robin is a shag tobacco cut so finely that it has been compared to kiseru Japanese tobacco. Good luck with Les Bouchons.
Kiseru is the pipe, kizami is the tobacco

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
For me, semois is the most cigar like of pipe tobaccos. I do taste the floral quality everyone keeps mentioning but it is very faint. Because it is so dry, it produces copious amounts of smoke. I use it as a once in a blue moon change of pace smoke.

Reactions: Egg Shen

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Kiseru is the pipe, kizami is the tobacco
Thank you! Do you happen to know if Le Petite Robin is the kind of tobacco that a kiseru and kizami smoker would like? Or is the similarity of the cut just coincidence?

Also, I've seen pictures of kiseru pipes, the smaller ones about the length of a man's hand. The bowl is so tiny. How long does a typical smoker take to smoke a bowl in a kiseru? How does the smoking technique differ from typical western practice?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Thank you! Do you happen to know if Le Petite Robin is the kind of tobacco that a kiseru and kizami smoker would like? Or is the similarity of the cut just coincidence?

Also, I've seen pictures of kiseru pipes, the smaller ones about the length of a man's hand. The bowl is so tiny. How long does a typical smoker take to smoke a bowl in a kiseru? How does the smoking technique differ from typical western practice?
I’m not really educated on this at all, but I think the Japanese tobacco is finer than shag, like hair, I heard. That’s really all I know about it other than they don’t export kizami.