PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
for the Chubby Morta AEROBilliard. Smoking Kajun Kake and I have to tell you there were no Morta residuals this smoke just pure unadulterated Kajun Kake which hit me like a sack of potatoes in the last 1/3. Smoke pure, clean and cool w/o the heat on the bowl I felt yesterday smoking Night Cap in 34 MPH winds, pure ash to the bottom and no moisture. The one thing I noticed immediately is this pipe appears to want to make a cake far quicker than my other Morta pipes so I will need to keep my eye on it. I plan on a marathon smoking session using 6 y/o Anniversary Kake in each Morta so I can differentiate between them the nuances of the smoke but right now I know in my heart this pipe is going to be a go to pipe anytime I want a pure, clean smoke especially trying any new non aromatic tobacco.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Good to hear banjo. Yeah, I've got me a commissioned Rolando Negoita reverse calabash he calls the Conducta. Smokes like a dream. Luca's Aerobilliard was modeled on it. I'm convinced these designs offer another dimension to pipe smoking. Glad to hear you feel the same.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
rothnh,

Consider that Morta spent upwards of 10,000 years in a bog (my others were carbon dated and come from various bogs in Europe but this one was not carbon dated but looking at the color it's at least 3500 y/o) which is a soup of goo and goop not to mention crap so to speak. It stands to reason that this soup has infiltrated the oak to make it Morta an almost fossilized or petrified bog oak. The smells and tastes one gets from a new Morta varies on what that soup is and one can feel an added flavor to a tobacco one is familiar with for up to several smokes in a Morta pipe until it cakes over then you want to prevent a lot of cake or it will more than likely stress the bowl expanding and contracting. This is the experience I, and others, have found with Morta pipes, it's not nasty but it can be funky and doesn't last long but your palate and nose know it doesn't belong to that tobacco, does this help?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Understand that it's not an in your face kind of thing it's more of a what was that I just tasted and the second puff may, or may not, repeat it or it will be diminished etc. The Chubby did it 1/2 way through, the Tom Richard I own did it for 3 smokes each at a different time, the Moretti did it for 2 smokes and quit, the Askwith barely did it toward the bottom of the first smoke nothing on the second, the other Askwith and the Denovic are estate pipes and they did it to the original owner but as I experienced it was gone within 3 smokes. To get a better idea you could ask who is building it what their nose told them during boring the bowl. ;) I know you'll love it roth.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
When Chris Askwith was starting his morta carving several years ago, I commissioned a bent Prince. Chris commented how smelly the sanding dust was from the morta he was working. When I puffed light Virginias in that pipe, I taste a musty earthiness - it made Dunhill Flake taste like a Gawith Hoggarth containing Malawi.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.