PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Hoping some folks that live in high altitude regions can chime in. I'm about to move, and of course I'm bringing my entire tobacco collection with me, including both round and square factory-sealed tins, jars I packed myself, sealed mylar bags with air inside, plastic tubs, cardboard cans, and more.

I'm leaving a region that's about 500ft above sea level and going through the Rocky Mountain states, which is of course going to be at a much higher altitude. It just occurred to me that my tins might pop open at a higher altitude, and that the mylar bags could explode. I dread the thought of having to repack all of my tobacco once I arrive, but I guess I'll do it if I have to. It would probably take me a weekend to do so.

For those of you who live in high altitude areas and have ordered tobacco delivered, do the packages arrive in good shape and sealed? Do the tins and cans swell up?

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
My home stands at 6,040 ft in altitude and I never had a problem with anything, tins, jars, or bags. All the usual factory tins still have the usual swoosh from the vacuum packing, when they are first opened. None of my Esoterica bags ever puffed up. As far as factory sealed packaging, I think you're safe. As for the ones you packed, I can't tell.

Oh, and I have flown with tins in the luggage. Those have never popped, either. Is the luggage compartment in commercial aircraft pressurized?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I live at about 5,200 ft in northern Nevada. I've ordered plenty of tins from Smokingpipes in South Carolina and have never experienced an issue with broken seals (except on one run of new Gawith tins). I do know that truckers hauling potato chips have to calculate their route to stay below a certain elevation to keep the bags from popping, but I can't remember the exact number.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
If you have any vintage tins that are already bulging from the aging process they are at risk of popping, especially if you are going over one of the passes at 11,000 ft. Just put them in a ziplock and press out most of the air. If they pop at least the tobacco won't go everywhere and it will stay moist till you can inspect everything at your final destination. I bought a vintage tin from Pipestud that he described as bulging, and that was down in the lowlands of Texas. A day after it got to me here in Denver it went kaboom.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I moved a bunch of tins from 300' in Texas to 8000' in New Mexico several years ago. Normal vacuum sealed tins will do fine. The only issues should be if you have tins that are already puffed up from ageing, like some GLP tins do. If they are already puffed up at 300' and you go to 8000' they can rupture (I had two tins that the top popped on). But by in large, most have a vaccum pulled on them at the factory, and you won't notice any difference.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I suspect there will be no issues….. but I also doubt there would be anything pre-travel you COULD do to already packaged tobaccos. Perhaps if you ARE packaging some prior to the journey… you could vacuum seal.

Perhaps the easy idea is to assume all will be fine…. and if any do pop open, repackage at your destination…. OR presume it is a sign that you should start drying out the blends that do “pop” so they can be just right for smoking! 😉

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think you should purchase C clamps for all your tins, torque them down good. Perhaps purchase a pressurized van and slowly bring them to the local atmospheric pressure when you arrive.

On a serious note, what choice do you have? Second, I can't imagine heat sealed mylar bags or mason jars would have a problem. If you have enough tins, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them leak a bit. But I wouldn't think there would be wide spread issues. As people have posted, all who have purchased from online retailers have gone through a similar trip. If you think about it, the tins are vacuum sealed, right? So there should be a negative pressure inside already. If they were pressure sealed (for whatever sense that would make), there might be an issue.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think you should purchase C clamps for all your tins, torque them down good. Perhaps purchase a pressurized van and slowly bring them to the local atmospheric pressure when you arrive.

Yes to all of that, but don’t half-ass it by stopping there. Test the resulting seal by taking your tobacco cellar for a ride on the KC-135 Stratotanker. If they survive a spin on the vomit comet then maybe, just maybe your tobacco is secure.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I moved a large cellar from 300 ft. to 7000 ft. about 12 years ago and had no problems. All my tins and mason jars are still good to this day. I suspect you will not encounter any major problems.

Reactions: Lumbridge

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
If you have any vintage tins that are already bulging from the aging process they are at risk of popping, especially if you are going over one of the passes at 11,000 ft. Just put them in a ziplock and press out most of the air. If they pop at least the tobacco won't go everywhere and it will stay moist till you can inspect everything at your final destination. I bought a vintage tin from Pipestud that he described as bulging, and that was down in the lowlands of Texas. A day after it got to me here in Denver it went kaboom.
Sorry you got dynamited troutface. Back in 2021 I wrote a blog on my website and included some photos of the same issue that occurred with you, and I am only at only 300 feet above sea level. Here's a cut/paste of part of that blog:

"All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated state utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn’t ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop earlier this week. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland’s year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom – a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and gripping the tin firmly, I slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin lid shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco, as you can see, was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby."

Steve

• Haha
Reactions: ram74 and Lumbridge

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Sorry you got dynamited troutface. Back in 2021 I wrote a blog on my website and included some photos of the same issue that occurred with you, and I am only at only 300 feet above sea level. Here's a cut/paste of part of that blog:

"All kinds of disasters have been occurring lately down here in Texas. COVID, of course, which has also struck the entire world. Record cold and ice & snow storms combined with an antiquated state utility system left us without power for days, and we couldn’t ride anywhere because our horses are not used to snow and ice and they kept sliding off the roads if we saddled up and ventured out.

But the worst disaster of all struck my shop earlier this week. I had been sent a beautifully preserved 100g tin of McClelland’s year 1991 Matured Virginia No. 25 to sell on consignment for a customer. The tin was really puffed up on both the top and bottom – a good thing, as it indicated a load of fermentation gasses within. Before selling, I always remove the plastic lids just for a quick check to make sure there is no rust anywhere. I set the tin down on my desk and gripping the tin firmly, I slowly began to remove the plastic lid. All of a sudden I hear a loud BOOM! Both the plastic lid and the entire inner tin lid shot up into the air. The plastic lid landed where you see it in the photo but the tin top was on the floor about three feet away from my desk. And pipe tobacco, as you can see, was all over the place.

When I came to my senses, I first checked my body to make sure that I had not been injured by tobacco shrapnel, then I grabbed a tissue. Why, because I had started crying like a baby."

Steve
No worries Steve, that was the only one of many vintage tins I bought from you that decided it was July 4th. It was pretty weird cooking dinner and hearing the loud bang in the dining room, where my storage cabinet is, and not knowing what in the hell happened ! It took me a few minutes and then I realized the likely culprit. Luckily the plastic lid helped soften the blow and none of the tobacco left the container.

Reactions: pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I am constantly taking my tobaccos from the beach to the mountains, and I have never noticed a difference. My guess is that as long as you stay on the planet that the loss of pressure from altitude won't be a significant problem.
LOL!
Well cosmic, I sure do hope to stay on the planet a little longer... although I admit that father time is ticking away a lot faster than I'd like. )-:

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
LOL!
Well cosmic, I sure do hope to stay on the planet a little longer... although I admit that father time is ticking away a lot faster than I'd like. )-:
I didn’t realize that it looked like I was replying to you. I meant to just throw that out there for the OP. But… Just hang onto something attached to the ground, and they’ll have to take you kicking and screaming. puffy

Reactions: pipestud