PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Are there an blends similar to Bag End from The Country Squire? This has been one of my favorite non-aromatics, but I have for some reason forgotten about it until recently. A few smokes of mine have brought it back into my thoughts, it was so smooth and almost creamy, but without being sweet. Nothing I have tried in the last year or so has exactingly compared.

Searching for "Scottish" blends often produces aromatic results that seem miles apart from it. Right now I am enjoying Picaddilly Circus, and it has some reminiscent creaminess but not quite as smooth, and I can't quite put my finger on what the similarity is, a particular oriental variety perhaps I should look for?

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Haven't smoked anything like Bag End really, has a very distinct tin note that I haven't come across in other lat blends that I really, really like. For them saying its a "lat lovers dream" I find it to be very Virginia Forward, especially after some time in a jar. Bag End and C&D Vieux Carrer are my favorite light latakia english blends.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
My recollection of this blend was that it was very VA forward— almost more a VA blend seasoned with the other constituent tobaccos.

I remember liking it a lot. Great for late summer/fall.

Unfortunately I can’t be of much more help with recommendations but I’ll be reading

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Thanks for the replies. I've just started really exploring straight VAs in the past couple months. It very well may be the VA in Bag End that I liked, I just didn't know it yet.

As I start searching once again, I am noticing a trend of perique in almost all of the "Scottish" blends that aren't aromatic. In fact McConnell's Scottish Flake is a straight-up VaPer, and so is GLP Fillmore. The only one aside from Bag End I can find without perique listed is C&D Strathspey, any idea on how that one also compares? I can't figure out what Louisiana Perique from the USA has to do with the Scots or the Highlands though, and even Blairgowrie and Loch Ness have it.

Obvious solution: Just order more Bag End. I most certainly will, but I want to have a TAD more fun with it than that if you catch my drift...

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You should try Cordial from C&D and Sutliff's Match 20 (Dunhill965). If you want something light on the lat, try C&D Star of the East Gold. I've never had Bag End, so I can't say how these compare.