PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’d not yet got my license but Johnny Rummel had his, which means it was the winter of 73-4.

Johnny had his father’s truck and Jack Baker’s dogs and we set them loose out by the old bridge across Turkey Creek and they treed four big coons on the top of the hill just minutes after we started.

Four big coons in late 73 or early 74 meant $60 if we were lucky, from the fur buyer.

On that hill that night I opened a new plastic package of Apple Pipe Tobacco by RJ Reynold’s and it smelled just like ripe apples.

When I lit up it tasted like ripe apples.

Johnny and Jack’s son Wayne smelled it and asked if I’d put apples in my tobacco.

About then the dogs hit another track with a long bawl and three boys went after them. By daylight we’d skinned 15 and I was sure that coon hunting was about the most profitable thing a kid could do.

At the auction later on the early spring of 74 the market had crashed and I think we averaged $5 each.

But I discovered apple flavored pipe tobacco that evening.

In the fifty years since I’ve smoked cherry, peach, plum, vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, blackberry, raspberry, maple, and probably others I’ve forgotten.

But tonight I found a package of Apple Pipe Tobacco and it tastes just like apples, as it did that night I smoked an entire package on an all night coon hunt.

My tongue was sore for days then, today it wouldn’t hurt me.

How, do they get those flavors to be so good?

Do they use an extract from real apples, cherries, blackberries and such or all of them worked up in a laboratory somewhere and sold by the gallon to the tobacco makers?

They get it flavored like the package says, somehow.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Killing racoons for 5 bucks.
Yep. That's enough internet for today.

I forgot.

City people don’t coon hunt.

Coon hunting in the Ozarks involves usually young boys who can stay out all night during the winter using dogs to tree coons and the coons are shot with a .22, usually a single shot rifle carried empty for safety,

$5 in 1973 is about $35 today.

We were hoping for $15, but you get what they bring at auctions.

In all of South Dakota last year 398 coons brought just under $8 average.

And there’s a discount if they are shot instead of trapped.

There must be more coons in the woods today than anybody can count.

They are hardly worth chasing.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Last time I pressed some tobacco I experimented with different flavourings, my wife makes cakes as a hobby and I "borrowed" some of her expensive flavours.

The raspberry actually made tobacco taste and smell like raspberry, its ingredients are the expected alcohol and propylene glycol, as well as "natural and artificial raspberry flavour."

GICH, here's a picture of a wife-made cake from her IG:

Screenshot_20231214-234443_Instagram.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Live trapped two baby coons last spring near the house (they were a surprise - was after a pesky squirrel). Glad they showed up, wouldn’t have wanted them maturing in the neighborhood and wouldn’t have been good for the puppy to happen upon them. The local coon “relocation truck” took them away Monday morning. No idea what they tasted like - but I wouldn’t have guessed apples. What is this about again? ✌️

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I can’t speak to what's used to flavor tobacco, but some of the food grade extracts we use to flavor beer are alcohol based. Those are primarily citrus. If I ventured a guess they’re probably distilled & concentrated. The totes we get them in are labeled “flammable” & we use a relatively small amount compared to using actual peel or fruit juice.
As far as apple or other flavors, I’d have to take a look at the ingredients. The company we get our extract from is Olive Nation & they have a huge range of flavorings. They use natural & artificial ingredients, but they taste pretty close to the real thing. There are some out there that taste fake(I can’t put my finger on it, but you know it when you taste it), but the ON stuff is actually good. They sell everything from 3 oz bottles up to 1 gallon, if anyone is interested in making aros at home.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I remember too, that Apple pipe tobacco was a brand new product, advertised in Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, a as md Sports Afield. The local new supermarket had a sort of display box and although it had the first modern plastic fold over pouch I ever saw, it was a quarter, same as the other codger blends.

And boy, howdy did it taste and smell like apples.

Our friend Jminks has reviewed the modern Middleton version:

The apple topping is very mild. The burley is sharp with very little of the expected flavors one looks for. It’s just a tad nutty, woody and earthy. The Virginia is grassy and barely citrus sweet in a support role. The strength is extremely mild, while the taste is very mild. Has virtually no nicotine. Burns hot and harsh even when slowly puffed, and will bite. The light flavor is consistent. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. Hardly needs a relight. Barely has an after taste. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

Xxxxx

He’s about right on all that, especially the tongue bite.

The aroma was overwhelming, of apples.

A man named Glen Frazier was a newcomer and not used to coon hunters and walked up on us in the Turkey Creek bottoms and was going to call the law on us until Johnny identified himself as Freddie Rummel’s son, which made it all right.

He said he could smell apple tobacco from his house and hear us talking a quarter mile off.

As we visited by the creek that man had more gold chains and Diamond rings than anybody I’d ever seen.

Wayne said he’d got rich somehow in Kansas City and paid $300 an acre for his farm.

A few years later Wickie Olginhouse, who was adopted and bad seed, and two Thomas brothers and Johnson would murder Fraizer, torturing him over under the new bridge at Caplinger, and left his wife for dead, trying to rob him.

But on that night he was asking me where I got that good smelling apple pipe tobacco.

Last edited:

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
GICH, here's a picture of a wife-made cake from her IG:

View attachment 270163

I guess cake platters is as good a use as any for those old laser discs.

Alcohol based extracts is the answer 90+% of the time. There were C&D blending kits for the holidays a few years back. Came with a metal bowl, constitute and condimental tobaccos, and a few dropper vials of common extracts. Also, both Jeremy Reeves and Per Jensen hae said as much in you tube video tours of their respective factories.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have similar flashbacks to the 1980’s hunting in South Louisiana
every-time I smell Peach flavored tobacco I go right back to memories of sitting in a Duck Blind full of spent shotgun hulls watching my stringers and scanning for the next pass.
It’s funny that 40 years later it still does that to me every-time !

Oh my, it was a wonderful night to coon hunt.

Hazy overcast, maybe 60 degrees , and we’d leave Wayne to skin coons while the dogs lit out on other ones.

And I just kept digging in that brand new all plastic package of Apple and by the time morning came I smoked the last pipeful,

The highlight of the evening was our scare when Fraizer came out of the dark without a light on wearing a disco era shirt opened at the top with gold chains, more than one, wrapped around his neck and a big ring on about every finger.

He said he smelled apple pipe tobacco and then heard us talking, and he lit out across the fields with no light to see what we were up to.

We offered to help him get home, but he said he could see the light and that’s all he needed.

Wayne actually said out loud, that he wasn’t smart to wear all those gold chains and diamonds on his fingers living so close to Wicki Olinghouse.

We gave the Olinghouse place a wide berth.

Wicki had already “accidentally” blew his brother Ricky’s head off with a shotgun and we didn’t want to test his tolerance of coon hunters.

Last edited:

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Oh my, it was a wonderful night to coon hunt.

Hazy overcast, maybe 60 degrees , and we’d leave Wayne to skin coons while the dogs lit out on other ones.

And I just kept digging in that brand new all plastic package of Apple and by the time morning came I smoked the last pipeful,

The highlight of the evening was our scare when Fraizer came out of the dark without a light on wearing a disco era shirt opened at the top with gold chains, more than one, wrapped around his neck and a big ring on about every finger.

He said he smelled apple pipe tobacco and then heard us talking, and he lit out across the fields with no light to see what we were up to.

We offered to help him get home, but he said he could see the light and that’s all he needed.

Wayne actually said out loud, that he wasn’t smart to wear all those gold chains and diamonds on his fingers living so close to Wicki Olinghouse.

We gave the Olinghouse place a wide berth.

Wicki had already “accidentally” blew his brother Ricky’s head off with a shotgun and we didn’t want to test his tolerance of coon hunters.

Those were the good ole days.
Kids now don't know how to hunt, fish and cut up like we did.
I feel sorry for them. They wont be able to make it if things get worse.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Those were the good ole days.
Kids now don't know how to hunt, fish and cut up like we did.
I feel sorry for them. They wont be able to make it if things get worse.
For the most part that is true. Here in western PA, hunter/fisher numbers have been in decline. My kids really enjoy hunting and fishing. My 10 year old son bagged a buck and doe this year and my 13 year old daughter bagged a doe this rifle season. My son in the army is coming home tomorrow. We have a new Henry 45-70 to get shooting while he's' home! I'm looking forward to that!

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I forgot.

Coon hunting in the Ozarks involves usually young boys who can stay out all night during the winter using dogs to tree coons and the coons are shot with a .22, usually a single shot rifle carried empty for safety,

I have many memories of coon hunting with my dad when I was a youngster. We had a black and tan coon hound that saved my dad's life from a very unhappy black bear. That dog, who was always a beloved pet, earned queen status that night! Another thing we would do is go into the woods and find ginseng and take the roots. Back then, in the late 80's, early 90's a pound of dried ginseng went for $400-$500/lb. It took a good bit to get a pound, I usually ended up with more poison ivy than ginseng!!

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
For the most part that is true. Here in western PA, hunter/fisher numbers have been in decline. My kids really enjoy hunting and fishing. My 10 year old son bagged a buck and doe this year and my 13 year old daughter bagged a doe this rifle season. My son in the army is coming home tomorrow. We have a new Henry 45-70 to get shooting while he's' home! I'm looking forward to that!
Thats awesome to hear! Skills, mindset and know how that will carry over to other things in life.
Pennsylvania is such a beautiful state Im glad they are living it.
Hope your son enjoys his leave
(Exodus) for the holidays.
I remember those times vividly
Myself. Oh, enjoy the 45-70 I love mine. Great caliber.

Last edited:

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I forgot.

I know a few guys that still coon hunt. They're the youngest 70-80 year old men you'll ever meet.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Saw a video the other day about flavoring hard candy. Pretty much flavoring just about anything is a process like this, so I would imagine flavoring tobacco might not be so different from this, and is going to depend on exactly what the flavor is, though obviously any flavoring used has to be in a vehicle that can turn to steam under heat (reason PG is used a lot as a vehicle) and the flavoring agent itself can't be one degraded by heat: