PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
A beater or a cob?

I've seen some fishermen with pipe dangling from a cord around their necks, kinda looks like duck calls from a distance.

That's a great idea;although, I currently fish with a knife hanging around my neck.

When I'm fishing from shore I bring a blasted Rathbone.

On a more immediate note, to support Packer fans I aired up my game ball from the 2013 NFC Championship where Richard Sherman killed the 49'ers dreams. I'll carry it for the entire game for luck.

99k28rR.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Are there any pipe makers in Turkey that makes new gourd calabash pipes with meerschaum bowl?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Were Bauer Calabash pipes popular enough to make knockoffs? Or was there a period where they were not designated as “Bauer” on the pipe?

I'm curious about that as well. I've seen others show pipes with no 'AB' or 'Austria' mark that also looked high quality like yours, and they said they were 'Andreas Bauer' pipes, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Steeeve

Lurker
Aug 24, 2023
In my vast stash of pipes I own one calabash pipe made from a gourd, hallmarked Birmingham 1910, and a flush fixed meerschaum bowl insert.

I spent about a week cleaning this up, flushing all the goo out with multiple soaks of Everclear, then sanding the top and getting it slick as a whistle. Whatever varnish used for the gourd is bowling pin grade good stuff, not a check or stain or flaw in a century old heavily smoked pipe.

It’s a cool smoker as bland as a bowl of unsweetened oatmeal, completely neutral. The orific bit is not my favorite.

School me on the grades and quality levels of gourd calabash pipes. They made these for royalty, and for the Wally Frank catalog, and all levels in between.

Every pipe lover needs one of these, and I have my quota.:)

What do I have on the grade scale of a gourd calabash?

View attachment 280237
View attachment 280232
1910 Birmingham

View attachment 280233
View attachment 280236
Orific bit

View attachment 280234

For example, this one on eBay looks like it was made for the carriage trade. Mine ain’t that fancy.

View attachment 280242
I'm so glad I found this thread! I just bought my first calabash this evening and this gives me a great start on setting her up for maximum enjoyment.
Also my first comment in this forum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-235012~2.png
    Screenshot_20240121-235012~2.png
    528.7 KB · Views: 12

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That pipe belongs to @OzPiper —I’m just a curious party in search of knowledge in case I ever do want an Andreas Bauer of my own.
There are only 2 Austrian makers of gourd calabashes - Bauer and Strambach That i know of.

I bought mine new in the mid- to late 1970s when I knew little of brands.
I actually had a Kiko, which i gifted to a friend.

The Strambach ones have quite different looking ferrules to the (presumed to be) Bauers.

I believe @smudgersmissingleg has a Strambach or two. Perhaps he may care to chime in and post pics of his Strambachs

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Jun 9, 2018
England
There are only 2 Austrian makers of gourd calabashes - Bauer and Strambach That i know of.

I bought mine new in the mid- to late 1970s when I knew little of brands.
I actually had a Kiko, which i gifted to a friend.

The Strambach ones have quite different looking ferrules to the (presumed to be) Bauers.

I believe @smudgersmissingleg has a Strambach or two. Perhaps he may care to chime in and post pics of his Strambachs
Here's a couple of pictures of my Strambachs. The meerschaum used for these isn't block it's called "cultured meerschaum". Apparently, Strambach had some special way they produced their meerschaum. No idea how they did it.
It's heavier and doesn't colour as well but apart from that It smokes the same as block meerschaum.
Both pipes take a 9mm filter and the top one has a silver ferrule.
20180917_2120042-600x337.jpg

20180917_211812-600x337.jpg

I've also got a Northern Briars made by Ian Walker. You don't see many of these about. I saw 3 or 4 of them for sale in the US a few years ago but that's the only other ones i've come across. Lovely workmanship and the meerschaum used for the bowl must be very good quality because it's light as a feather.
IMG_20240122_155210.jpg

Lastly, i've got a Baki. This one has a silver lid but unlike the ones made years ago, the bowl is removable for cleaning so you get the best of both worlds. Comes with 2 stems of different lengths.
IMG_20240122_160102.jpg
IMG_20240122_160213.jpg

Bopaloobop

Lurker
Jan 27, 2024
This Calabash is the only surviving (barely) relic of my SO's grandfather's pipe collection. I've been interested in getting it restored for her for a long while now but as much as she'd love the sentiment, she would be a bit unenthused about the use of funds.

20240127_133108.jpg
20240127_133239.jpg20240127_133201.jpg

Bonus picture: the silly stem that was clinging to it in fear of abandonment.
20240127_133324.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
All the pieces seem to be present and correct
That should clean up well

The gourd looks to be in good shape.
Just looks like it needs a scrub to clean the outside and a cotton ball and alcohol soak

Dave (@Ahi Ka) may chip in on using plaster of Paris to repair the meer bowl.

The stem looks like it has straightened out over time, and needs to be re-bent.
After you have run a few alcohol-soaked cleaners through it

All very do-able if you are somewhat handy

Reactions: Bopaloobop

Bopaloobop

Lurker
Jan 27, 2024
All the pieces seem to be present and correct
That should clean up well

The gourd looks to be in good shape.
Just looks like it needs a scrub to clean the outside and a cotton ball and alcohol soak

Dave (@Ahi Ka) may chip in on using plaster of Paris to repair the meer bowl.

The stem looks like it has straightened out over time, and needs to be re-bent.
After you have run a few alcohol-soaked cleaners through it

All very do-able if you are somewhat handy
Wow, wasn't expecting the stem to be original. I've never heard of them straightening back out, very interesting...

When I was looking it over it had a little bit left of a white ring between the pipe and burl piece that looks to have long since crumbled (pic #3).

Edit: also the stem falls out so it needs to be rethreaded or something?