Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A small length of cork strip or a piece of cork stopper with a hole cut out should fix the briar extension.

Difficult to say what the problem is with the briar extension and stem without looking at it
Hopefully a new push-pull tenon will suffice. Having to refit a threaded tenon can be a difficult job without the right tools

Bopaloobop

Lurker
Jan 27, 2024
A small length of cork strip or a piece of cork stopper with a hole cut out should fix the briar extension.

Difficult to say what the problem is with the briar extension and stem without looking at it
Hopefully a new push-pull tenon will suffice. Having to refit a threaded tenon can be a difficult job without the right tools

Thanks for the advice!
Is it silly to ask if anyone knows anything about its origins? Doesn't seem to have and discernable maker marks on it. :/

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If unstamped, it’ll be anyone’s guess
I presume the gourd is from Sth Africa and the bowl is Turkish

There are lots of gourds stamped with well-known brands

I seriously doubt a manufacturer of briar pipes will go to the trouble of making a few gourd calabashes.
Most likely they buy them ready-made and afix their stamps

I have one stamped “AUSTRIA” which I presume to be an Andreas Bauer, as there are others with the “AB” stamp.
But @smudgersmissingleg has an almost identical one stamped “Northern Briars” 🤔

No authoritative answer, I’m sorry

Bopaloobop

Lurker
Jan 27, 2024
Yeah I read through this whole discussion to see if I could figure anything out so I kinda figured that was the case.
:) appreciate ya.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here's a type of bowl treatment I have not seen - only possible here because it's broken:

05I6hkn.jpeg

Ghjcy17.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have 2 calabashes with meer bowls. In my experience they smoke good but burn tobacco fast. Also, I've found they make a good pipe to smoke up some blend that you are not that fond of. They tend to smooth out the roughest tobacco. puffy

Reactions: OzPiper