PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
In the pipe smoking community universal acclaim doesn't exist.

That said, no other briar growing region has spurred the popular imagination as much as Algeria. That's just a demonstrable fact when you look at the published record, such as industry publications, advertisements,. etc Look at old nameless basket pipes from 80 years ago and many will have Algerian "whatsis" stamped on them. You won't see Sardinian "whatsis", or Calabrian "whatsis", because those don't have the spark of "oriental romance" that Algerian has with the public.

Is all this attention based on some innate superiority, or a great marketing opportunity based on another irrational public fixation? Damned if I know, but I'd bet on the latter.

And, as stated earlier, much of my pipe collection consists of pipes made with old Algerian briar, but NOT because of the origin of the briar but because I enjoy smoking pipes made by a company that used Algerian briar almost exclusively, Barling, and another, Comoy, that also, like Barling, set up their own briar harvesting and seasoning operations in Algeria in the early years of the last century.

I like the way these pipes smoke. They happen to be made from Algerian briar that these companies harvested, selected, and processed in Algeria.

More than likely, what they didn't choose for their product was brokered on the open market, to be bought by other companies, like the one's mentioned in the various "Algerian yada yada yada" threads.
Question(s): is your Brebbia (admittedly, one of your best smokers) made of Algerian briar? If it isn’t, how would you rate it’s smoke-ablity to your Algerian briar pipes? Considering your year’s served and your understanding of pipes in general, I’d say your observations would count for more than opinion.

Don’t mean to put you on the spot, but I’d sure like to know. I find no difference in any pipe once it’s broken in and a proper carbon (cake) has formed. This has been my experience over my 27 years smoking a pipe.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
My experience is once the briar hits a certain point of age as a block, it carved a lot differently. It’s brittle and it doesn’t lathe or sand as nicely. You have to be a bit more careful working with it because it will chip just looking at it.

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Question(s): is your Brebbia (admittedly, one of your best smokers) made of Algerian briar? If it isn’t, how would you rate it’s smoke-ablity to your Algerian briar pipes? Considering your year’s served and your understanding of pipes in general, I’d say your observations would count for more than opinion.

Don’t mean to put you on the spot, but I’d sure like to know. I find no difference in any pipe once it’s broken in and a proper carbon (cake) has formed. This has been my experience over my 27 years smoking a pipe.
It still comes down to how well the pipe maker uses his briar blocks. I have no idea where the briar is sourced that Brebbia uses. All I know is that it would make my top 5 pipes if I had to choose. Another would be the Frasorteret that is a Holm reject. A fine pipe is the result of a lot more things than the origin of its wood. And, another part of that is that I may experience a particular pipe as supremely good, one that someone else thought bad enough to dump.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The Osage Orange tree is a gnarly, slow growing hedge shrub that must be a lot like wild heather is over across the briny foam around the rim of the Mediterranean.

The trees have thorns and they produce inedible hedge apples. They are so crooked I’ve never been able to figure out how sawyers find examples straight enough for fence posts. The common hillbilly name for them are hedge posts.

A hedge post is forever. It will be there on Judgement Day. I have some in service left my grandfather and his brother Elmer set in 1919 after Elmer came home from the war.

But they get harder with age.

After a few decades you can’t drive a steeple in one.
If kept in an area where there are shifts in humidity, the slow penetration of moisture in the humid season then wicking out of moisture in the dry season pulls out tannins from the wood over time. Tannins in briar are red tinted. If you've ever seen a very old block of briar, it has a reddish exterior color on the surface. Tannins are the source of bitterness of a new pipe made from newly milled briar. A pipe made from aged briar should be more neutral in taste due to less tannins remaining in the wood. When tannins are still present in the briar of a pipe, they will continue to leech out over time due to atmospheric humidity changes as well as from the absorption and drying of moisture when smoked. This is the breaking in period of a pipe. It's also why some pipes (made with less seasoned briar) require a significant breaking in period and others made from well seasoned briar typically do not.

There’s what I suspected.

Thank you.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just because someone SAYS it is so, and repeats it ad infinitum does not necessarily MAKE it so 😏

Spend $15 on one of these.

The grouchiest old doubter in the world would simply have to like real, aged over fifty years, best of the best genuine Algerian export grade briar.

IMG_6008.jpeg

Those pipes are left over from a huge stash made up in the sixties and seventies by the revolutionary government of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria to sell to tourists who didn’t buy them.

Ugly, waxy, soft, crude, and small, they smoke like ancient Algerian briar.

The best, of the best.

Reactions: didimauw

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Spend $15 on one of these.

The grouchiest old doubter in the world would simply have to like real, aged over fifty years, best of the best genuine Algerian export grade briar.

View attachment 268582

Those pipes are left over from a huge stash made up in the sixties and seventies by the revolutionary government of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria to sell to tourists who didn’t buy them.

Ugly, waxy, soft, crude, and small, they smoke like ancient Algerian briar.

The best, of the best.
I DO have pipes made from Algerian briar. Just not a Marxman.
Unfortunately that magical, transformative experience eludes me

Some of my pipes smoke hot. And some gurgle. Most smoke beautifully.
But taste-wise, I have yet to come across one that gives me a flavour other than the tobacco in it 😏
Some of these pipes are 100year old NOS.
Perhaps at that age, any pixie dust in the chambers would have long given up their ghost

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
In the pipe smoking community universal acclaim doesn't exist.

That said, no other briar growing region has spurred the popular imagination as much as Algeria. That's just a demonstrable fact when you look at the published record, such as industry publications, advertisements,. etc Look at old nameless basket pipes from 80 years ago and many will have Algerian "whatsis" stamped on them. You won't see Sardinian "whatsis", or Calabrian "whatsis", because those don't have the spark of "oriental romance" that Algerian has with the public.

Is all this attention based on some innate superiority, or a great marketing opportunity based on another irrational public fixation? Damned if I know, but I'd bet on the latter.

And, as stated earlier, much of my pipe collection consists of pipes made with old Algerian briar, but NOT because of the origin of the briar but because I enjoy smoking pipes made by a company that used Algerian briar almost exclusively, Barling, and another, Comoy, that also, like Barling, set up their own briar harvesting and seasoning operations in Algeria in the early years of the last century.

I like the way these pipes smoke. They happen to be made from Algerian briar that these companies harvested, selected, and processed in Algeria.

More than likely, what they didn't choose for their product was brokered on the open market, to be bought by other companies, like the one's mentioned in the various "Algerian yada yada yada" threads.
I had no idea about Algerian briar before joining this group and seeing the slew of threads on it. Your post has given me a clearer idea, thank you for sharing this.

I have a barling army mount from 1976, or at least that is how it was sold to me, I don't know enough to say if that year is true or not. Assuming it is, is it likely it is Algerian?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I DO have pipes made from Algerian briar. Just not a Marxman.
Unfortunately that magical, transformative experience eludes me

Some of my pipes smoke hot. And some gurgle. Most smoke beautifully.
But taste-wise, I have yet to come across one that gives me a flavour other than the tobacco in it 😏
Some of these pipes are 100year old NOS.
Perhaps at that age, any pixie dust in the chambers would have long given up their ghost

As a kid I used to complain they should outlaw rhubarb because nobody liked it.:)

As I got older I realized other people did like it or else there’d be no rhubarb.

What that certain grade of pre 54 Algerian briar did was deliver a spicier smoke, for me and a lot of other leather tongued old pipe addicts. It needs straight Virginias or Va Pers to really be obvious, but all tobaccos are flavored a little by it.

And to say this pipe was made from Algerian briar is like saying another is made from Italian briar. What grade is it? How well cured and seasoned was it? Is it highly figured or bland?

The kind that was soft, waxy, full of pits, difficult to work, densely grained and usually blandly figured from Algeria is what made its reputation as Algerian briar.

It tastes like roasted cinnamon would if you roasted cinnamon.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I get it that some woods are imbued with distinct scents and flavours
I like chewing and sucking on liquorice root and love the smell of (real) sandalwood.
Who hasn’t sucked on a piece of grass or green twig ?

However my tastebuds are not so finely honed as to distinguish the taste of the wood as distinct from the flavours of the tobacco.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I get it that some woods are imbued with distinct scents and flavours
I like chewing and sucking on liquorice root and love the smell of (real) sandalwood.
Who hasn’t sucked on a piece of grass or green twig ?

However my tastebuds are not so finely honed as to distinguish the taste of the wood as distinct from the flavours of the tobacco.

The best I can describe it, is a more subtle and delicious version of the bitter zing when breaking in a new pipe.

Too much cake prevents the goodie mojos from coming out.

A hot ember of Virginia tobacco helps. The bigger the bowl the better, too, provided there’s a good, hot ember burning.

True Algerian grade briar is an incredibly good insulator. Your pipe just gets warm, not hot.

It’s an addiction, I tellya.:)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It's an English corruption of the word bruyère like how "el lagarto" became alligator and "Acadian" became a cajun.

I always thought Briar is simply the translation from the French word bruyère.

I found this online;

Briar is a unisex name that originates from Britain and carries the meaning of a group of thorny bushes. The French word 'bruyere' has a similar meaning as 'heather. ' This version derives from the Latin word 'brūcus,' the Gaulish word 'brūcos,' and the Proto-Celtic word 'wroikos.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a barling army mount from 1976, or at least that is how it was sold to me, I don't know enough to say if that year is true or not. Assuming it is, is it likely it is Algerian?
By 1976, all Barling pipes were made for Imperial Tobacco by other companies, two of which I've verified as Charatan and Oppenheimer, two of the best British makers at the time. The Barling factories closed up in 1970. But even before that, their stocks of Algerian briar from their facility in Algeria would have long been depleted.

And here's something else to consider. After having lost their harvesting and processing operations in 1954, Barling bought briar in the wholesale market like everyone else and used briar from wherever as long as it met their metric. And pretty much nobody can tell the difference between an Algerian briar Barling and a later one. So much for the inherent superiority of one kind or another.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
It seems there is a lot of talk about this Algerian briar at the moment. Makes me want one, not sure they're available here though.
I've been eying these.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
By 1976, all Barling pipes were made for Imperial Tobacco by other companies, two of which I've verified as Charatan and Oppenheimer, two of the best British makers at the time. The Barling factories closed up in 1970. But even before that, their stocks of Algerian briar from their facility in Algeria would have long been depleted.

And here's something else to consider. After having lost their harvesting and processing operations in 1954, Barling bought briar in the wholesale market like everyone else and used briar from wherever as long as it met their metric. And pretty much nobody can tell the difference between an Algerian briar Barling and a later one. So much for the inherent superiority of one kind or another.
I bow to your knowledge.

Reactions: Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've been eying these.
Purportedly a warehouse / an attic / several attics (depending on source of story) full of unfinished stummels 😁

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That's just his flavor of the week. Before it was Pipes by Lee, tomorrow it'll be another. I've got Algerian artisan pieces that smoke no differently than other briar examples.

After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and cut off 85% of the rubber supply and any prospects for a quick return of inported briar for smoking pipes the government dispatched bureaucrats and came up with the data that before the war, America had about ten million briar pipe smokers who bought an average of three new briar pipes a year, for a total of 30 million briar pipes.

So the government did not ration briar pipes. There was a price freeze, but also the unions agreed to not raise labor rates.

During the war there was an enormous profit incentive to find domestic briar substitutes. Mission briar from California and mountain laurel from North Carolina were the closest, and were so widely used another government survey in 1945 found over half the new pipes sold were domestic briar.

And a few years later the traditional imported briar completely displaced all domestic substitutes.

If a beginner wants the best example of a beautifully made and grained example of an American factory pipe that is a four hole stinger Kaywoodie with a large ball. After the war began Kaywoodie shrank the size of the ball, to save aluminum.

And those are the only really collector grade American factory pipes, and priced accordingly.

If he wants a beautiful American factory pipe for peanuts that is a 7 or 5 pointed star Lee. Lee also used a curing process that made break in easy and the briar taste sweet, probably an oil cure.

Something like this large saddle stem three star grade 7 point star Lee costs about the same as a trip through the fast burger joint.

IMG_6020.jpeg

A Lee is an outrageous bargain for a beginner trying to accumulate a collection of pipes.

But after he’s hooked, and his pipes don’t ever burn his tongue or gurgle and he’s discovered tobaccos like Five Brothers and PS LNF and 1792 and Happy Brown Bogie, then there’s a step up from a Lee.

This enormous Marxman square panel “Big Boy” cost me a grand total of less than $35 delivered on eBay tonight, with tax.

IMG_6017.jpeg

That pipe will look like this one an hour after I get it.

IMG_6006.jpeg

What I learned from this thread is why they turn that reddish brown color.

The tannins in the briar are driven outwards and trapped by the rouge and tripoli polish Marxman used for final finish. It’s only a whisper deep, and can be brought back to light tan by a restorer.

Marx was the American Dunhill.

Those huge $15 largest size pipes were and are the best bargains for a serious pipe smoker ever sold by anyone in the world. The looks are an aquired taste, but construction was perfect and each hand made, using the best of the best Algerian briar to smoke.

When I’m gone my buckets and racks of pipes will get passed on to new smokers who will love them, hopefully half as much as I have.

Time for a poem, some lucky few of us had to memorize growing up:

The Bridge Builder​

BY WILL ALLEN DROMGOOLE
An old man going a lone highway,
Came, at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and deep and wide.
Through which was flowing a sullen tide
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream had no fear for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” said a fellow pilgrim near,