PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Hello folks,
Just wondering if anyone has tried Savinelli's tobacco before? Recommendations?
Mike

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since I don't smoke Latakia, or full-blown aromatics, the only one I've smoked is Savinelli Special.

I would buy this one for the bouquet of the freshly opened tin -- best tin note I've ever smelled. The smoke

is a little cigar-like. Good, but no great shakes. My full review is posted at LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com.
Sav "Special" is not widely available, but based on my experience with it, I wouldn't hesitate to try something like Armonia.

These are pricey tins, though. $11.20/50gr. I'm not terribly sure there's a lot of value for the dollar with any of them.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I bought a tin of Savinelli English Mixture 6 months ago and put it in my cellar. I opened it yesterday having forgotten it was there. The cut is very course and thick ribboned. The tin note is nothing unusual.
It packs and lights well and requires no drying time. Those expecting Nightcap will be disappointed as it is on the lighter side of EMP or S.L. The latakia is very much in the background and can go unnoticed at times. EM can be pushed hard with no consequences other than a bit of gurgle. It burns to a grey dusty finish.
English Mixture could be an all day smoke for some, it is not potent enough to destroy your palate but then again it may not be complex enough to keep your attention. I will smoke the remaining 50g or so, but I doubt I will buy again. It is not a bad tobacco but there are just so many better.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
IMO, Savinelli Cavendish is one of the best and least discussed aromatics out there.
It's not goopy American style black cavendish. A nice, honey topping. Great room note. Actually tastes like you're smoking tobacco. I like it best on the dry side, but smokes well right out of the tin and doesn't come particularly moist to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.