PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Local B&M has Savinelli Seconds in various styles that are unfinished (natural briar). He wants $49 for any type. You can see the small fills and other imperfections. This shop is usually expensive on everything. I cant seem to find these on line. Can anyone help me on what a good price on one of these would be? I dont mind paying a little extra but there is a limit.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I have 3 of these, and they are some of my best smokers. The colors change dramatically with handling, and they smoke cool because they are not finished. Trust me they are worth every penny.
I know am on a quest for the best unfinished pipes. Tinsky radice ardor????

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I own a Nording that is unstained, it has taken on a pleasant brown shade after being smoked.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Thanks Mick, for that stem the B&M wants $59 so PipesandCigars does it again, I love those guys.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've seen the nording freehands with the small amount of rustification on the bowl. Sorta looks like the Matrix digits lol.
I really like the look of some of the unfinished pipes. Just another must have to add to the PAD list!

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I Don't care much for the looks of these unfinished pipes, however I do like the fact

that you're not smoking the stain like you do with a Peterson during break in.

I really wish they would stop dipping the pipe and start putting the stain on the

outside of the bowl only!

I guess I should at least try one of these. Hello? PAD? Is that you calling?

kabulq

Lurker
Oct 10, 2015
Many years ago I was visiting a pip shop and I noticed some unfinished Savinelli unfinished pipes in a basket. All were nice looking pipes and I was told at the time that they were were called "seconds" I paid about $ 69.00 for the pipe and let me tell you. First of all I always wanted a pipe that I could just grab and go that would serve me well no matter what, where or when. I have about 60 pipes at this time in my collection and some of them I paid a nice ($$) for, but my Savinelli "second" or series III pipe is one of the best smoking pipes I own. It has changed color and it is well seasoned frame the work I have put it through. If possible and if you get the opportunity, buy you a couple of these pipes. I have a POT style, they are great. "E"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, kabulq!
I have some basket pipes bought 50 years ago, and none have fills, all have colored/patina'd well, and are among my favorites.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I bought a Sav III from a poster from this site. Gave me a great price, but it has an ugly fill on the side of the bowl. I'm not complaining becsuse it is an awesome smoker and the vulcinite stem is very comfy. It has colored nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unfinished pipes are great, and all the better when you can handle them and select the ones you want. I have four or five Sav unfinished pipes, and all smoke great. Some I've had for forty years. When you say you don't like the looks of them, you are really missing the point. They do look raw. With a year, then two, of smoking, they turn a beautiful walnut color. Polish them up while they're still warm after every smoke and it will hasten the "finishing" process. After that, they have a glow that you can't get from any other finishing method. Since you save shipping, the $49 price is excellent. Unless you are snobbish about your pipes, I'd get two or three, or buy them over time. They really are one of the great buys in tobacco pipes. I think Savenelli is scaling down or eliminating these and going entirely to Rossi with seconds, using a darker and matte finish to hide the fills. You'll pay a little or quite a little more for these, and you'll miss the pleasure of finishing your own pipe just by smoking it. Everyone should have a Sav unfinished pipe or two -- even high end artisanal pipe buyers, maybe especially them. It's one of the simple joys of the hobby.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Great example of one of these pipes (from an ebay listing):
s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.