PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I seem to have a penchant for playing with old messed up pipes, whether they're worth restoring or not.

The Peterson 317 shape (baby Pete) has always interested me, and when I saw this on ebay for $17 I figured it might be worth playing with. The before pics are from the auction page as they seemed ok. The pipe on the other hand was THE dirtiest pipe I've ever cleaned up. The shank was totally blocked with gunk, as was the stem. I don't know how anyone smoked it in the condition it was in as no air could pass through. Maybe that's why they got rid of it. All in all a pretty abused pipe, but I do like a challenge!

I fired up some Black Frigate in it last night to see how it went. Smoked very nice but the little bowl did tend to get hot rather easily. I'll have to try smoking something different, and change my smoking cadence with this. Does anyone else have one of these? Do you like smoking it? They don't seem to be too common. Probably because they're so small.
Anyway, here's the before pics:

s-l1600_3-600x397.jpg

s-l1600_2-600x547.jpg

s-l1600-600x457.jpg

And the after pics:

img_00196-600x379.jpg

img_00222-600x433.jpg

img_00235-600x366.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Great job on the clean-up, Orley.
I've owned the 312 and, if I were to purchase another Pete, the smaller 317 would certainly be up on the list. Great shapes, imo.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Well done Orley! I guess you built up the rim with briar dust? Not an easy task. Even more difficult to match the original texture of the blast.
Top notch save. I'm always amazed by your repairs.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks guys.

Dave, I topped the bowl about 1/16" and as you guessed filled the rest with glue and briar dust. This works fairly well on rustic and sand blast pipes, but is not something I've tried on a smooth finish. Hours of fun though... :crazy:

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I had a Wellington system pipe, which is a copy of the Peterson systems, in the same shape and size as a 317. It was my first good pipe, and a great smoker. Gave it to a close and deserving friend a while back since he lost his Peterson 307 and I felt bad for him. Anyway, it did tend to heat up, but I'm a clencher so it didn't bother me. In my view, these little light pipes are meant to be clenched and not held, but that's just me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great job Orley! I can't believe it's the same pipe. I too was wondering how you made the rim look so good again. :clap:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nicely done. Your restos are always quality. The job you did on the rim is really quite exceptional. The button repair is very well done as well. Impressive.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Great Save!!!
I have one that looks just like a duplicate. It's a sandblast Model No. 303 but it really looks to be the same size as your pipe. I purchased mine brand new back in 1989.
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
When you build up with glue/briar dust...what happens if it gets hot? I've been wondering lately how that plays out.
Aside from the question..very well done. There is a feeling of accomplishment when you smoke a pipe that looked doomed!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Tyler: I try not to use superglue on any inside part of the bowl, mostly I use it on the outer bowl for repairs. In this instance, it was only about an 1/8" at the top of the bowl that I built up, and as I don't load my tobacco to the top of the bowl it shouldn't be a problem. I also use a mixture of pipe mud with a little honey to make a slightly sticky coating on the inside. I haven't noticed any problems from the lighter flame damaging the bowl yet, as I try to keep the flame away from the edges of the bowl of any pipe I smoke. I guess time will tell on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.